Boss: I’d rather employ a paedo than a veteran

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2010, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

To be devil's advocate (although I'm sure grumbler can argue for himself), all this shows is that Philly has one nutcase with a cheesesteak joint.  That nutcase may also be a former cop and an ex-Marine.

The Larch

More pictures of the place (I managed to find a flick gallery almost entirely devoted to it):

Berkut

Larch, I can say that I have never seen anything like that. Ever.

I am not going to say it is bizarre or creepy, but...yeah. That is so far away from typical it isn't even funny.

However, while I can understand the idea that the police are associated with "authority", I don't understand why you would assume that someone who makes a big deal about honoring them is worshipping that particular aspect of the police, rather than any number of other things the police are assocaited with in the US. Why not assume they are worshipping shiny shoes, or guns, or those goofy hats cops wear? Or better yet, why not assume nothing at all?

If you asked them, they would likely tell you that what they are honoring has nothing to do with "authority" and everything to do with service and sacrifice, two other elements that are commonly associated with being a police officer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2010, 12:06:37 PM
To be devil's advocate (although I'm sure grumbler can argue for himself), all this shows is that Philly has one nutcase with a cheesesteak joint.  That nutcase may also be a former cop and an ex-Marine.

Heh, don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that it's not something you see everywhere over there and that the owner of the place is some kind of blowhard trying to get as much attention to its bussiness as it can.  :)

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2010, 12:11:27 PM
Larch, I can say that I have never seen anything like that. Ever.

I am not going to say it is bizarre or creepy, but...yeah. That is so far away from typical it isn't even funny.

However, while I can understand the idea that the police are associated with "authority", I don't understand why you would assume that someone who makes a big deal about honoring them is worshipping that particular aspect of the police, rather than any number of other things the police are assocaited with in the US. Why not assume they are worshipping shiny shoes, or guns, or those goofy hats cops wear? Or better yet, why not assume nothing at all?

If you asked them, they would likely tell you that what they are honoring has nothing to do with "authority" and everything to do with service and sacrifice, two other elements that are commonly associated with being a police officer.

As I told DGuller, I know that it's an extreme example of what I'm trying to say.  ;) It's only something to showcase the different values attached to service in the USA and in my neck of the woods.

Barrister

Yeah Larch, I really don't think you can draw too much from one guy's cheesesteak shop.

You probably should have known that from the "you must speak english to order here" signs, which is also not typical.

Just curious - did you try to order in Spanish?   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2010, 12:23:56 PM
Yeah Larch, I really don't think you can draw too much from one guy's cheesesteak shop.

You probably should have known that from the "you must speak english to order here" signs, which is also not typical.

Just curious - did you try to order in Spanish?   :)

Or worse....French?

0 rows returned

Martinus

Well, the owner is clearly a nutso, but I think that the type of nutsos you get in a society also speaks something about the overall values of the society itself. Sure, the guy may be taking the idea to the extreme, but I don't imagine anything even remotely close taking place in Poland (or, I take it from Larchie's reaction, in Spain). Here we would have a nutso with pictures of a Pope everywhere instead, for example. :P

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2010, 12:17:41 PM
As I told DGuller, I know that it's an extreme example of what I'm trying to say.  ;)

Right, but what I am saying is that I don't even think it is an extreme example of what you are trying to say - it is an extreme example, but I doubt it has anything to do with "authority worship".

QuoteIt's only something to showcase the different values attached to service in the USA and in my neck of the woods.

That is a telling point. In the US, it is considered honorable, at least among much of the population, to go into a career of service, whether that be the military, police, firefighters, etc., etc., etc.

While I don't really share in the sometimes shallow veneration that this sometimes manifests itself as, I would MUCH rather live in a society that values and respects those who go into these careers than one that belittles and mocks them.

Of course, I am a product of that very society, so I guess that is to be expected.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2010, 12:26:42 PM
Well, the owner is clearly a nutso, but I think that the type of nutsos you get in a society also speaks something about the overall values of the society itself.
Does it mean that the Polish society values incessant homosexuality?

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2010, 12:33:33 PM
Well, the owner is clearly a nutso, but I think that the type of nutsos you get in a society also speaks something about the overall values of the society itself.

Subconsciously, yes. Which is why it respects the men and women of cloth.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2010, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 18, 2010, 12:33:33 PM

Subconsciously, yes. Which is why it respects the men and women of cloth.
:lmfao:

Barrister

Well, the owner is clearly a nutso, but I think that the type of nutsos you get in a society also speaks something about the overall values of the society itself. Sure, the guy may be taking the idea to the extreme, but I don't imagine anything even remotely close taking place in Poland (or, I take it from Larchie's reaction, in Spain). Here we would have a nutso with pictures of a Pope everywhere instead, for example. :P

So we're back to the point that Americans respect police / military.  But we already knew that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Well, the owner is clearly a nutso, but I think that the type of nutsos you get in a society also speaks something about the overall values of the society itself. Sure, the guy may be taking the idea to the extreme, but I don't imagine anything even remotely close taking place in Poland

Both Spain and Poland were authoritarian states withing a single generation - it would make sense that citizens in both states would have some ingrained suspicion of police, paramilitary and other uniformed authority figures.  The US OTOH has been a functioning limited constitutional democracy for a few hundred years, and local law enforcement officers are subject to all sorts of controls.  Other than with respect to certain socio-economic groups that have historically been subject to more intrusive police tactics, many Americans have no historical reason to have any particular suspicion and hostility of local authorities.  It is more common to identify such authorities in a possessive way as being "our" police and firemen.  That is a tendency reinforced by the fact that such organs recruit from predominantly working ("middle") class areas in the communities where the officers serve, underlining the connection between local law enforcement and the people who live in that locality.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson