First genderless person recognised in Australia

Started by The Larch, March 16, 2010, 01:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7446850/Briton-is-recognised-as-worlds-first-officially-genderless-person.html

QuoteBriton is recognised as world's first officially genderless person
A British expat who claims to have no gender is thought to have become the first person to be officially recognised as neither male or female.

Norrie May-Welby, 48, was born a man but had a sex change operation in 1990, at the age of 28.

After becoming unhappy as a woman, May-Welby decided to become a "neuter". The 48-year-old is now officially recognised as a person of no specific gender.

May-Welby emigrated to Australia at the age of seven after being born in Paisley, Renfrewshire.

Officials there altered the Briton's birth certificate to include the new no-gender classification after doctors were apparently unable to determine the sex of the expat's body.

May-Welby said: "The concepts of man or woman don't fit me. The simplest solution is not to have any sex identification."

The UK's Gender Trust welcomed the case. A spokesman said: "Many people like the idea of being genderless."

I blame anglo-saxon unisex names.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2010, 01:25:33 PM
May-Welby said: "The concepts of man or woman don't fit me. The simplest solution is not to have any sex identification."

The UK's Gender Trust welcomed the case. A spokesman said: "Many people like the idea of being genderless."
It's this sort of thing that has me looking forward to the fall of Western civilization and the slaughter of these sorts of freaks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

It is interesting to hear about people who transitioned and discovered that such was a mistake.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2010, 01:51:09 PM
It is interesting to hear about people who transitioned and discovered that such was a mistake.
Doesn't that happen pretty often?
I hear the rates of depression amongst transgender people are way above he norm.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2010, 02:01:37 PM
I hear the rates of depression amongst transgender people are way above he norm.

I'm not really sure how those two are connected. After all, you can get depressed simply by how society treats you.

Side note, but anecdotally I've noticed that there is a high incidence of depression among gay people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2010, 01:51:09 PM
Sexual dysmorphia is in the DSM-IV (I may be spelling it wrong or have the wrong term, but the concept itself is in there) and after the sex changes first became possible a large number of the people who had them were depressed again.  That is why nowadays those wishign to undergo the procedure need to have counseling before and after.
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2010, 02:05:23 PM

I'm not really sure how those two are connected. After all, you can get depressed simply by how society treats you.

Side note, but anecdotally I've noticed that there is a high incidence of depression among gay people.

I think both cases are somewhat different. In a perfectly bias-free society, a gay person has all elements necessary to be happy from the moment of birth. This is not the case for a transgendered person.

Even in a completely tolerant society, I think sex change procedure would continue being a traumatic experience.

BuddhaRhubarb

Yeah well it's a "make the best of it" scenario at best, making a transition. people hate you before you do so because they think you are gay, after you out as a a trans the people who supported you as gay leave you behind mostly. Nobody likes you anymore. that's going to make a lot of people depressed.

continuing the completely anecdotal nature of this thread, I know far more "straight" people with clinical depression, than I do gays or trans with that same issue.  people get depressed. film at 11.
:p

Jaron

What a stupid decision. There are no such thing as genderless humans.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Brazen