And we're back!

Main Menu

Life Discovered Under Antarctic Ice

Started by Malthus, March 16, 2010, 09:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

... and surprisingly complex life, too. A tentacle was observed.  :cthulu:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100315/ap_on_sc/us_sci_antarctica_sea_life

Awakening the shuggoths aside, this is very exciting proof that life can exist in very harsh conditions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

QuoteThe video is likely to inspire experts to rethink what they know about life in harsh environments. And it has scientists musing that if shrimp-like creatures can frolic below 600 feet of Antarctic ice in subfreezing dark water, what about other hostile places? What about Europa, a frozen moon of Jupiter?

Yes, let's use this as another excuse to obsess over extraterrestrial life :rolleyes:

I'm no scientist, but I would have to think that whatever life forms exist under the Antarctic ice are a spinoff from life forms that originated in much warmer conditions.  As such, unless Europa had a particularly warm period fairly recently, it would be an apples to oranges comparison.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2010, 10:15:16 AM
QuoteThe video is likely to inspire experts to rethink what they know about life in harsh environments. And it has scientists musing that if shrimp-like creatures can frolic below 600 feet of Antarctic ice in subfreezing dark water, what about other hostile places? What about Europa, a frozen moon of Jupiter?

Yes, let's use this as another excuse to obsess over extraterrestrial life :rolleyes:

I'm no scientist, but I would have to think that whatever life forms exist under the Antarctic ice are a spinoff from life forms that originated in much warmer conditions.  As such, unless Europa had a particularly warm period fairly recently, it would be an apples to oranges comparison.
That, and no matter how cold and dark it is under the arctic ice the water there still has access to food stuffs originating in warming climates thanks to ocean currents. Europa has no such thing. Even if there is life there i find it hard to believe it would be complex. Life there has no access to the sun and chemosynthesis is no where as effecient as photosynthesis so i doubt a whole food chain can be sustained without sunlight.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

chipwich

Quote from: HVC on March 16, 2010, 10:25:07 AM

That, and no matter how cold and dark it is under the arctic ice the water there still has access to food stuffs originating in warming climates thanks to ocean currents. Europa has no such thing. Even if there is life there i find it hard to believe it would be complex. Life there has no access to the sun and chemosynthesis is no where as effecient as photosynthesis so i doubt a whole food chain can be sustained without sunlight.

Lifeforms in the Marianas trench do just fine. Besides, is it really implausible that life could gain sustanace from atmospheric gases?

Richard Hakluyt

My guess is that life evolving to survive in harshening conditions is more likely than life originating in harsh conditions. Of course the question is obscure because we don't really know what constitutes harsh conditions, in a universal sense that is  :hmm:

BuddhaRhubarb

:unsure: That Planet earth BBC series from a few years ago, as well as herzog's recent Antarctic romp both show lots of under Antarctic sealife. how is this news?
:p

Agelastus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 16, 2010, 12:12:43 PM
:unsure: That Planet earth BBC series from a few years ago, as well as herzog's recent Antarctic romp both show lots of under Antarctic sealife. how is this news?

It's not clear in the article, but is this the lake under the icesheet they were talking about a few years ago, and not a location with access to the sea at all?

edit: Ah, further down they do say it has access to the sea ("twelve miles from open sea".) :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

ahh I should read more carefully before posting :blush: but still I'm not surpised, there's life pretty much everywhere we've been able to look in the oceans.

Yay tentacles.
:p

Malthus

All we need is a Japanese schoolgirl in a heated diving suit, and we are in business.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Berkut

It is interesting, but only to the extent that it is another chance to show that extraterrestrial life is NOT likely that has not turned out to be the case.

While life in extremely harsh conditions on Earth does not mean that we should expect to find life in extremely harsh conditions elsewhere, NOT finding life in harsh conditions on the Earth would suggest that life is even less likely in similar conditions elsewhere.

So this is interesting data, at least to those who are interested in the question.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

Plus, God didn't tell us in the bible that he made life on Europa.