News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Composting!

Started by PRC, March 14, 2010, 11:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

I spent the day building a compost bin in my backyard.  Started with a palette on the ground and then some 2x4 posts nailed to the palette.  To the posts were nailed the walls, 1 x 6 slats placed with about a half n' inch between them.  The palette base and the space between the slats are to provide some oxygen to the various layers of the bins contents.  Didn't get a lid on it before the day was done but that's definitely coming soon!

Started out by filling it with leaves bagged from last fall but that weren't dealt then with because I knew I wanted them in the compost bin yet to be built.  So it's filled with carbon... now for the nitrogen!  25-30 to 1, carbon to nitrogen is supposed to be the ratio and right now it's 100 to 0 carbon... coffee grounds & kitchen scraps to follow.   Hopefully have some soil for growing season.

Any other composters here?

Jaron

Your craftsmanship is superb :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

I think Timmay would compost quite nicely.

PRC

Quote from: Jaron on March 14, 2010, 11:33:48 PM
Your craftsmanship is superb :)

Thanks, but this bit is just wood and nails.  From this bin waste shall be turned into soil that is rich in nutrients... and from that soil shall grow food stuffs... and that will be the true mark of craftsmanship!

PRC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2010, 11:35:30 PM
I think Timmay would compost quite nicely.

You'd want to compost him out in the woods not close to any neighbours because his decaying flesh would attract pests like rats n' such... luckily i'm in Alberta where there are no rats.  Also if his leg is indeed made of wood that would take a long time to compost... a couple years before it turned to red rot anyways, you'd want to chip it up first.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: PRC on March 14, 2010, 11:42:04 PM
You'd want to compost him out in the woods not close to any neighbours because his decaying flesh would attract pests like rats n' such... luckily i'm in Alberta where there are no rats.  Also if his leg is indeed made of wood that would take a long time to compost... a couple years before it turned to red rot anyways, you'd want to chip it up first.

Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

I tried to set up a compost pile, but it really pissed off the landlord.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PRC

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 15, 2010, 12:18:43 AM
I tried to set up a compost pile, but it really pissed off the landlord.

Luckily I don't have a landlord and you should endeavor to find yourself in that position as well.

citizen k

I don't understand how the compost doesn't rot through the boards.  :hmm:

Valdemar

Been a while since I composted, but i do remeber a few things,

A, why don't you build it straight on the ground so that you can drain it into the soil and get fungus and worms from the soil to speed up the process? It will also keep it moist so it doesn't dry up on you
B, you need to get the soil out in the bottom as you fill it, so a trap door or unhinged side would have been good
C, often you need to turn the content over, sort of upside down, not right away, but say once or twice a year.
D, you need a sill of sorts, my granddad used to build one, just a large frame with wiremesh nailed on, so that the soil was sroted from whatever debris was still left (twigs and so)
E, he usually had 3 bins, a "starter" where he dumped this years cutoffs and so, a middle that was slowly decomposing last years cutoffs, and a third, almost soil, where he would drop contents from the second one after the silting, and take soil from. those three alternated ofc, yearly so it fitted with the stage of decomposition.

But nice craftmanship indeed :)

V

Josquius

My parents used to have a similar thing in the garden. Such a odd yet OK smell.
██████
██████
██████

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Valdemar on March 15, 2010, 03:25:28 AM
Been a while since I composted, but i do remeber a few things,

A, why don't you build it straight on the ground so that you can drain it into the soil and get fungus and worms from the soil to speed up the process? It will also keep it moist so it doesn't dry up on you
B, you need to get the soil out in the bottom as you fill it, so a trap door or unhinged side would have been good
C, often you need to turn the content over, sort of upside down, not right away, but say once or twice a year.
D, you need a sill of sorts, my granddad used to build one, just a large frame with wiremesh nailed on, so that the soil was sroted from whatever debris was still left (twigs and so)
E, he usually had 3 bins, a "starter" where he dumped this years cutoffs and so, a middle that was slowly decomposing last years cutoffs, and a third, almost soil, where he would drop contents from the second one after the silting, and take soil from. those three alternated ofc, yearly so it fitted with the stage of decomposition.

But nice craftmanship indeed :)

V

This two parts are very important in composting 101...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Vricklund

When I still lived with my parents, we had something similar. It was also built above ground, dad bought a bunch of red wrigglers from the local bait shop and put them in with the grass clippings and coffee grounds. The compost was regularly, at least in the summer time, turned over with a pitchfork by us kids whenever we went fishing. The bottom had a forward slope to it and a hinged door in the front to get the dirt out.

Razgovory

So is this like a hobby or something?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Right now I just have a pile in the back yard next to the shed which gets filled with some vegetation, soil, leaves. Not really composting. But I've started to check out composting, might try and set up something this year. Would help with the vegetable garden to get some rich soil.