Army captain decorated and reprimanded for the same battle

Started by citizen k, March 11, 2010, 11:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/11/eveningnews/main6290133.shtml

QuoteIt was July of 2008, and according to Sgt. David Dzwick, they were short of not just troops, but basic necessities.

"The second day we were extremely low on water," Dzwick said. "When you start running out of water it's very hard to continue working through the heat of the day.

Despite warnings from villagers that an attack was imminent, an unmanned surveillance drone which had been watching over the troops was diverted to a higher priority mission.

"Not having surveillance was the concern for me," Dzwick said. "Part of the planning is that we would have some."

The first Apache helicopters got there an hour and five minutes after the Taliban opened fire. By then, Captain Myer was the only officer still alive.

Myer can still appeal but right now he has been both decorated and reprimanded for the same battle.

Berkut

He was cited for bravery when the base came under attack, and reprimanded for not adequately preparing for that attack.

I don't know the details, but at least in theory that is not implausible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2010, 12:15:47 AM
He was cited for bravery when the base came under attack, and reprimanded for not adequately preparing for that attack.

Quite frankly, it sounds very Soviet.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2010, 05:53:35 AM

Quite the contrary - Soviets would have only cited him for bravery in a situation like that. They were not sticklers for formalities.

Now, Wehrmacht, on the other hand...

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2010, 05:59:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2010, 05:53:35 AM

Quite the contrary - Soviets would have only cited him for bravery in a situation like that. They were not sticklers for formalities.

Now, Wehrmacht, on the other hand...

Or they'd reprimand then execute him, and then decorate him posthumously.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

The Soviets liked to send people to mental hospitals. They still do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Indeed.  The citation for bravery would get written a lot faster than the report of negligence, since the investigation for the latter would have to be more thorough.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!