Sen. Reids family gravely injured in car accident

Started by Jaron, March 11, 2010, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

WASHINGTON (March 11) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's wife and daughter were being treated in a hospital Thursday for serious injuries they sustained when their vehicle was rear-ended by a truck, a spokesman said.

Reid's wife, Landra, 69, broke her back and neck in the accident, Reid spokesman Jim Manley said.

She and the couple's adult daughter, Lana, were being treated at Inova Fairfax Hospital in suburban Virginia. Neither woman's injuries appeared to be life-threatening, Manley said.

Haraz N. Ghanbari, AP
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's wife, Landra, and daughter Lana were both hospitalized Thursday after being seriously injured in a traffic accident. Here, the senator and his wife attend an event at Ford's Theatre in Washington in 2007.

"While driving on a Washington, D.C., highway, their vehicle was rear-ended by a semi-truck," Manley said in a statement.

"Mrs. Reid has a broken nose, broken back and broken neck. Lana has a neck injury and facial lacerations. Both Mrs. Reid and Lana are conscious, can feel their extremities, and according to doctors their injuries are non-life threatening," Manley said. "Sen. Reid has been to the hospital and appreciates the support he and his family are receiving from Nevadans and his colleagues in the Senate."

Reid later returned to Capitol Hill, where he was meeting with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on efforts to pass health care legislation. He planned to return to the hospital after the meeting, Manley said.

Reid, 70, met Landra while they both were attending Basic High School in Henderson, Nev. They were married in 1959. Lana was born two years later. The Reids also have five sons: Rory, Jaron, Leif, Josh and Key.

Poor Harry. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on March 11, 2010, 07:55:21 PM
"Mrs. Reid has a broken nose, broken back and broken neck. Lana has a neck injury and facial lacerations. Both Mrs. Reid and Lana are conscious, can feel their extremities, and according to doctors their injuries are non-life threatening,"

That's one lucky lady. Holy crap.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 08:01:56 PM
This should be good for the Democrats.

:yes:  It's like back during a tough re-election Bill Clinton dropped Chelsea into a wood chipper.  Mess her face up but he won the election.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

MadImmortalMan

You guys are already examining how this will affect politics?  :P

Good grief.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 11, 2010, 08:16:59 PM

Good grief.
Agreed.  It's another sign of how rotten and polarized our politics are when people can't wait to turn a personal tragedy into a political calculation.

Jaron

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 08:58:16 PM

Good grief.
Agreed.  It's another sign of how rotten and polarized our politics are when Democrats can't wait to turn a personal tragedy into a political calculation.

Fixed.
:P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Good grief.

Why not.  It's not like we know them personally.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Well he's a mormon so it's not really that big a set back.  He has spares.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 08:58:16 PM

Good grief.
Agreed.  It's another sign of how rotten and polarized our politics are when people can't wait to turn a personal tragedy into a political calculation.

Remember the Paul Wellstone funeral?

sbr

"Gravely injured?"

Doesn't that imply life-threatening?