News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The world's richest man

Started by Martim Silva, March 10, 2010, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Berkut on March 10, 2010, 01:56:04 PM

Does anyone believe that he knew ahead of time though?

He has a rather odd set of groups he is in tight with - both the Soverrrh, Russian government, and Forbes.

I wanted to post the results earlier, but didn't had the time. But note the difference between Slim and Gates is just .5 billion - an extremely close race, as I said.

My job makes me close to a lot of capitalists. Since one has to live in a rotten society, I guessed I might as well get a position in the places where real money is made. Which made me far more successful than most hardcore Liberals I know.

I guess that one needs to despise the system to actually thrive in it. Those that respect it kinda fall by the sidelines.

merithyn

Quote from: sbr on March 10, 2010, 06:51:00 PM
Why is there

12    Christy Walton & family
15    Jim Walton   
16    Alice Walton 

Are they not all of one family of is there some other stupidly rich Walton families around?

And 18   S. Robson Walton, too.

Imagine if they pooled their resources....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martim Silva

Quote from: merithyn

The Waltons are Americas' wealthiest family, but they don't act as one.

Their internal disputes and personal quirks are like something out of a soap opera, and thus they are counted individually rather than collectively.

Monoriu

Tiny Hong Kong has two spots in the top 24 :yeah:

Zanza

I wonder how they always come up with the numbers for the Albrecht brothers. Their company is not public, they don't give any earnings informations either. How can anybody even know how much their company is worth then?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 10, 2010, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: merithyn

The Waltons are Americas' wealthiest family, but they don't act as one.

Their internal disputes and personal quirks are like something out of a soap opera, and thus they are counted individually rather than collectively.

Also that TV show was sappy and generally sucked.  Bush liked it though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2010, 07:21:55 PM
I wonder how they always come up with the numbers for the Albrecht brothers. Their company is not public, they don't give any earnings informations either. How can anybody even know how much their company is worth then?

Guesstimates.  I bet they have to do that for most people on the list. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2010, 07:21:55 PM

Should not be difficult to estimate sales and gross margins.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Those people also file income taxes reports, just look at those then an educated guess.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2010, 08:12:49 PM
Those people also file income taxes reports, just look at those then an educated guess.

Income tax returns are usually confidential; sales tax receipts OTOH may be easier to get. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2010, 08:07:43 PM
What about Rochschild?

To keep a secret, one must keep secret, that one has a secret to keep.

Grey Fox

And they do real good job at it.