News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 08, 2013, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2013, 06:10:00 PMNo I have not. The whole army will be battle ready soon. If a battle can be found...

Warhammer Ancient Battles, or some other system?

I'll take what I can get. But it is mainly a painting project and not a gaming project.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Wow.  Fantastic work, Brain.  Those pavises look amazing.  Are they a transfer or did you handpaint them?  Either way, they look great.  I wish I knew someone locally that played Warhammer or even 40k, as I'd love motivation to buy and paint up an army.  Probably dwarfs.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 08, 2013, 12:45:44 AM
Wow.  Fantastic work, Brain.  Those pavises look amazing.  Are they a transfer or did you handpaint them?  Either way, they look great.  I wish I knew someone locally that played Warhammer or even 40k, as I'd love motivation to buy and paint up an army.  Probably dwarfs.

Thanks. The pavises are pretty awesome transfers from this place (also got most of the flags from there): http://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=78dc2c142371abfb2bd3cb4a02a725a6

The Brain

Crossbowmen and artillery ready!

Jesus Christ. You know what this means? It means the army is done!!!11 Some years in the making but finally done. I think I deserve a drink. Thank you for your support during the project. :)

If I can manage an army shot you will get it, but I can't promise anything.

And now for the next project... :shifty:

Any requests?

Admiral Yi

Roman legion vs. Macedonian phalanx.

Battle of the Boyne.

Gustavus Adolphus vs. dirty Papisher tercios.

Jacob

Something WFB, so we can plan a game one day these next two decades.

The Brain

Interlude: WW1

I have been into WW1 a lot lately so I wanted to do some models related to that war. I decided against doing gaming models because gaming WW1 is a problem, and the problem's name is trenches. To get trenches on the tabletop that actually look like trenches they need to be sunk into the surface, which means a dedicated modular gaming board, which means too much work for niche gaming. So I made a simple diorama instead. It is inredibly quick and dirty, more a concept than anything else, but I wanted to try it and see. Obviously it is inspired by all the B&W photos from the war, with a tiny bit of Dix.

I didn't want an action diorama, with combat and stuff. I wanted a more quiet scene. I considered adding a dead soldier but decided against it. I didn't want the scene to be about "remember the brave fallen" or "oh the horrors of war". I was going more for a feeling of "ghosts in a land of ghosts". The gas masks suggest that visibility is poor, and they are making their way through a devastated landscape, alone in the universe as it were.

I could add more items lying around and shit, but I wanted to be done quickly and I can always add stuff later if I want. I didn't want to clutter the scene.

To get across that it's a B&W piece (and not just a particularly poorly painted piece) I wanted to include some object of color. A flag would have been great, but completely out of place here. The grass and bush are meant to serve that purpose.

I noticed that there is a black spot ( :pirate ) on the face of the leading figure that you only see when you stoop to his level. Ah well, I might fix it later.

Sophie Scholl

You could do some Forgeworld Death Korps of Krieg 40k models up.  They have an awesome Great War vibe to them.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Wait, that is the finished product?!?! :rolleyes:

:P Looks Good Goatfucker.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 15, 2013, 11:01:25 PM
You could do some Forgeworld Death Korps of Krieg 40k models up.  They have an awesome Great War vibe to them.
Yeah they are some nice models. Now I've done a little WW1 though, but if I didn't already have an IG army painted and ready I might consider actually doing a full Krieg army.

I am considering a number of different possibilities for my next project. Among them are:

Old West. I got a shitload of figures (and also a number of unassembled buildings). I like the idea of playing a campaign where everyone has his posse and so on.
Great Northern War. Could be nice to have an army that includes Charles XII. I already have an army (unpainted) in 6mm, but in this case I'd probably do it in 28mm.
Warhammer Fantasy. Must in that case be an army with few models, possibly all-cavalry (not a fan of the look of Ogres).
Warhammer 40k. Likewise low model count is a must.
War of Zombie Aggression/Near Future. I already have a number of painted models for various armed citizens, police etc. I could paint the zombie horde I got in my closet, and/or paint some more near futureesque models I have around. I have some unassembled buildings for putting a modern townscape on the table.
Fellowship of the Ring. I recently picked up the Fellowship from the Mithril range (20+ y/o, obviously based on the books and not movies). They are very nice models, I have been a fan of that range since it appeared. Would not be gaming-related, just painting the Fellowship (plus Gollum).
Vietnam. I got a lot of nice figures just waiting to be painted. YOU DIE GI
Space Hulk, latest edition. I did assemble the figures when I got the game, I could paint them.
Buildings. I have mentioned buildings. I could do a buildings project just to get all my unassembled buildings ready for the table. Storing them after assembly is gonna be a bitch though.

Or something completely different.

The Brain

My internet shopping sprees recently landed me the Polish rules By Fire And Sword ( http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=58 ). I've only taken a very quick look but the book seems very nice. 400 pages, nicely illustrated, lots of background info, armylists included... and it's very nice that a niche country like Poland tries to put itself on the wargaming map. This is the stuff we like to see coming out of Eastern Europe, not all that other crap. :)

The Brain

Another project kind of done: The Old West. Using Warhammer Historical's Legends of the Old West rules as a base I have painted enough figs from my collection so you can play a campaign with the three kinds of gang in the basic rulebook (Lawmen, Outlaws and Cowboys), including most hired guns and plenty of civilians. I still have lots of unpainted figs so more models can easily be painted up should the need arise.

The figures are Foundry, and unlike most other models I have posted these are 25mm instead of 28mm. Which means that they are fine with 28mm terrain, but you can't really mix them with 28mm models. But since Foundry has a fairly comprehensive Old West range I felt that this isn't a problem. You only mix Old West models with modern ones in a Yul Brynner theme park scenario or similar, which, while interesting, is unlikely. Anyway, since they are a bit smaller and also because detail isn't very crisp on them I have given them the simplest of paintjobs.

As usual photo quality is meh.

CountDeMoney

sbr

The Brain

Thanks.

I haven't decided what my next project will be. Hmm...