News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

It wasn't always easy to get enough cloth for a whole pair of pants in one colour.

The Brain

Next thing done: my second artillery piece. The cannon was a bitch to assemble (but the design itself is really cool). I don't know why everyone in this crew is real sleepy but there you go.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I just got a few deliveries. Among other things some pretty sweet pre-painted laser cut MDF medieval buildings from http://www.4ground.co.uk/.

The Brain

Crossbowmen done. They also have pavises, not shown in pic.

Man, the army is starting to come together. Still to do: some more men-at-arms and the VIPs.

Sophie Scholl

Loving those crossbowmen.  The look is very nice.  Any chance of a group shot?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Yessir.  And any of the buildings you've put together.   Obliged. :bowler:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Well, my plan has been to get the army done (and based!) before doing an army shot. I'll see what I can do, but no promises.

The buildings seem to be quite awesome, I may get one assembled reasonably soon. We shall see.

The Brain

Second group of men-at-arms done.

Now for the command models. One command group for the crossbowmen, one for the handgunners and one for every battle (Edward, Fauconberg and Warwick).

sbr

The Brain

Crossbowmen command done. I kind of like these guys.

CountDeMoney

Good work on those men-at-arms, Brain.  What's up with the crossbowman on the right, though?  Between the feather and the drum, he looks like a sickly Iroquois.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2012, 02:44:55 PM
Good work on those men-at-arms, Brain.  What's up with the crossbowman on the right, though?  Between the feather and the drum, he looks like a sickly Iroquois.

Thanks. Shamanic practices were common among 15th century mercenaries. Apparently. They also listened to their bodies.

Admiral Yi

How exactly were those men at arms supposed to hurt each other?

In accounts I've read of Agincourt either two longbowmen would pair up and one would distract the Frenchy while the other went for a dagger in the nuts or armpit.  Or in the center where the men at arms fought each other the Poms in the second rank, armed with billhooks, would try to hook the Frenchy and pull him to the ground, so his buddy in the first rank could put a sword in his nuts or armpit.

The way these guys are armed and armored (and it does match with that Graham whatshisface), it looks like you would just have two masses of guys smashing each other on the helmet and shoulders, for zero hit points.

Very nice painting job BTW.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2012, 10:23:32 PM
How exactly were those men at arms supposed to hurt each other?

In accounts I've read of Agincourt either two longbowmen would pair up and one would distract the Frenchy while the other went for a dagger in the nuts or armpit.  Or in the center where the men at arms fought each other the Poms in the second rank, armed with billhooks, would try to hook the Frenchy and pull him to the ground, so his buddy in the first rank could put a sword in his nuts or armpit.

The way these guys are armed and armored (and it does match with that Graham whatshisface), it looks like you would just have two masses of guys smashing each other on the helmet and shoulders, for zero hit points.

Very nice painting job BTW.

My impression is that there was indeed quite a lot of smashing for zero hit points. By the mid-15th century they had stopped using shields since their armors were so good. That's why they have two-handed can-opener style weapons that can be used for stabbing armpits or putting big dents in armor plates that would reduce mobility. Swords had also gotten pointier since slashing at a guy in plate armor is pretty pointless, you have to find a hole and stab him in it.

There are stories of single knights in plate armor killing lots of ordinary soldiers, which doesn't sound unreasonable given how hard it would be to kill mr. Can.

They still found ways to kill each other though, if you look at the casualties in WotR battles. It just took some serious work.