And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2021, 09:32:48 AM
So I had a date over and she saw my Wars of the Roses army which I keep on a shelf. Her comment: "I'm fairly easily impressed, and right now I'm not impressed."  :lol: :lol: :cry: :lol:

Napoloenics chicks are so picky.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 15, 2021, 12:22:37 AM
Very nice minis, Jacob. :)

Agreed.  I especially like the light-colored beards and hair.  Shields are sweet as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

For years I've had a bunch of WW1 Germans (people may remember a very basic diorama I did some time ago). Now I plan to paint a gaming army, so I did a test model. My minis are from Great War Miniatures, and I really like them. Unfortunately GWM don't have late war French, but I have ordered late war British to have a second army. AFAIK there are no really great French late WW1 minis in 28mm.

I'm also getting some suitable WW1 terrain.

Note: I saw that the heel had lost some paint, fixed it after taking the pic.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2021, 10:05:20 AM
Unfortunately GWM don't have late war French, but I have ordered late war British to have a second army. AFAIK there are no really great French late WW1 minis in 28mm.
This discussion has some links to options as well as one that compares the various options that exist. Might be of interest. Also, amazing new work! Your minis are one of the reasons I still come back here on occasion.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=456648
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 08:54:29 AM
Agreed.  I especially like the light-colored beards and hair.  Shields are sweet as well.

Thanks!

I think transfers can look better, but I find transfers infinitely annoying to apply but I actually enjoy painting the shields. So freehand for the shields it is (though some of them have modelled details, of course).

Jacob

@the Brain - I was looking at your modular terrain system - looking good. Where'd you get the bases for those?

Jacob

For years I've had a bunch of WW1 Germans (people may remember a very basic diorama I did some time ago). Now I plan to paint a gaming army, so I did a test model. My minis are from Great War Miniatures, and I really like them. Unfortunately GWM don't have late war French, but I have ordered late war British to have a second army. AFAIK there are no really great French late WW1 minis in 28mm.

Very nice.

I am very clearly not a great wars nerd, because I would've thought that was a WWII German, not a WWI one (based on the helmet).

Valmy

That is the Model 1916 German helmet which looks similar to the Model 1935 the WWII soldiers used. Remember this is a late war German soldier so they would be wearing that instead of the spike helmet the early war soldiers wore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

The unavailability of poilu minis is an outrage btw  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2021, 11:08:10 PM
@the Brain - I was looking at your modular terrain system - looking good. Where'd you get the bases for those?

The trees are on 50mm round bases from Renedra (they ended up on 50mm bases instead of 60mm basically by accident).

The other round bases (for swamp, rough terrain etc) are 60mm round old GW bases (they are thin just like Renedra, I'm not sure if GW still sells the exact same bases or if they are different now). I also have a bunch of 60mm round Renedra bases (Renedra is my go to for bases), but IIRC I haven't used them yet (still have a bunch of old GW 60mm in my stash).

The irregular "base areas" I cut from 1.5mm thick plasticard from a hobby shop (first time I worked with plasticard, it's a nice material).

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2021, 11:40:04 PM
The unavailability of poilu minis is an outrage btw  :mad:

I agree. Painting an army is a big investment of effort, it's harder to summon the energy if you think the models are meh.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2021, 11:09:52 PM

Very nice.

I am very clearly not a great wars nerd, because I would've thought that was a WWII German, not a WWI one (based on the helmet).

Thanks! As Valmy said it's the M1916 steel helmet. IIRC it was first used by troops attacking at Verdun in early 1916, and then rolled out generally. So they're basically good for the years 1916-1918. My aim for the army is to be Verdun-compatible, at least looks-wise (I'm not anal about equipment). So no intricate camouflage patterns that are associated with 1918 (also, they don't make for easy  and quick painting).

Edit: Steel helmets are also the main reason WW1 minis have to be divided into early and late war, for all three armies (German, French, and British). There were other developments in equipment of course, but the helmets are so extremely obvious.