News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Also get a powerful adjustable reading light, as prep for further inevitable disintegration  :P

Iormlund

PDH

Yeah, after I got old the magnifying light was definitely a needed item.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Posters of a certain age may remember my Tomb Kings army that I did on Old Languish. I've had some loose Tomb Kings ends lying around, and I decided to finish my Tomb Guard that I only started on way back when. So here they are. Pic not awesome, normally I would take the pic on the balcony in better light but whatchagonnado.

My Tomb Kings army is generally white and gold, so to make the Tomb Guard stand out they got black and gold instead. The rest of the army has bronze weapons, these guys have better swords which in my case means they're made of meteoritic iron (which I've always found fascinating). They're based to fit in with the rest of the army, today I always paint the sand I use for basing but I didn't back then for this army.

I've gotten a bit into Warhammer Fantasy Battle recently, even if Games Workshop stopped supporting the game years ago...

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

And the Battle Standard Bearer is done! This guy is metal and seriously unbalanced, as you'd expect.

I still have some Tomb Swarms unpainted, but I don't know if I can be bothered. In GW fashion they have a lot of little details that make speedpainting less than straightforward.

Sophie Scholl

Awesome! I'm about to start a WHFRPG Campaign with some friends. As such, I've been delving into the lore again myself.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Finished two Tomb Swarms, with a quick and dirty paintjob. I may take a pic some other day when the weather is better, but there's not much to photograph, they're a mass of bugs crawling over the ground. Feels good to have them in the army though. :)

So what's next? I just got a fresh delivery of historical figs... :hmm:

Iormlund

Care to recommend one of those fancy magnifying setups? Amazon is finally open. ;)

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on April 28, 2020, 12:39:52 PM
Care to recommend one of those fancy magnifying setups? Amazon is finally open. ;)

I have a very simple one, a desk magnifying lamp with multiple LEDs forming a ring around the lens. If possible of course it's nice to see and feel it "in the flesh" before buying (I did), but anything with reasonable reviews should be fine. I'd go cheap, even a cheap one will be a huge improvement over nothing.

The Brain

When I saw recently that The Assault Group had a Machiavelli figure I obviously had to buy it. He came in a pack together with Cesare Borgia and Leonardo Da Vinci (giggle).

The Brain

Perry Miniatures have reopened their webstore! I've gotten into WotR again (I'm always into WotR but more than usual), I might be tempted to place a new order. :hmm:

Sophie Scholl

I should really read some of the papers I've been stockpiling on the WotR. York forever!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

I ordered some WotR stuff. Since last time I did WotR the Perrys have released plastic foot knights and light cavalry. I also ordered enough other stuff to flesh out my army even more.

The Brain

While waiting for the new Perry stuff I did some mounted men-at-arms I had lying around (I built my prickers from the mounted men-at-arms boxes since back then there was no light cavalry box from Perry). Even if the mounted charge by men-at-arms wasn't common in the WotR there's always the possibility, and Bosworth. I didn't put on a lot of horse armor since my understanding is that it wasn't commonly used in combat in the WotR.

Perry miniatures are always a joy to work with.

The Brain

I got some very nice Egyptian ruins from Scotia Grendel, and gave them a simple paintjob. I thought I'd give my Tomb Kings some battlefield terrain. Of course they also work in historical settings (including pulp), and can stand in as ancient ruins in various fantasy/SF settings.