News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clandestino

@Jacob and The Brain

Thanks for the answers, I guess I might give it a try based on your opinions and the chat I had with the shop owner.

Another question though, this one in a more general vein: I feel I can get myself to play it without much problems, but I feel kind of intimidated with the painting process though. I'm not an artsy tipe of person and never was, can someone give me some tips about this or point me to some direction regarding this process? It seems I could pay some guy to paint it though, but from what I've eard it seems it will be way more cheap to just buy the materials and doing it myself. Any help?

Sophie Scholl

In the same vein as Saga is a game I've been looking at for a while:  Muskets & Tomahawks.  It's the same style of game, though set during the French and Indian War/Seven Years War in North America.  It looks pretty awesome, is supposedly fairly newbie friendly, not super expensive to get into, and features an era I love.  If I can convince a friend or two to give it a shot, I plan on digging in soon.  Winter is perfect for staying inside for a while and painting.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: clandestino on February 04, 2014, 07:50:54 PM
@Jacob and The Brain

Thanks for the answers, I guess I might give it a try based on your opinions and the chat I had with the shop owner.

Another question though, this one in a more general vein: I feel I can get myself to play it without much problems, but I feel kind of intimidated with the painting process though. I'm not an artsy tipe of person and never was, can someone give me some tips about this or point me to some direction regarding this process? It seems I could pay some guy to paint it though, but from what I've eard it seems it will be way more cheap to just buy the materials and doing it myself. Any help?

Some people (like myself) consider painting the figures a key part of the hobby, and wouldn't use a painting service. Others are happy with getting their figures painted for them. I am happy to buy ready-painted terrain (buildings etc) though, which I am sure some people would never do. Obviously just paying for the materials and painting yourself is cheaper, but takes a lot more time. To sum up: whatever floats your boat is fine. I certainly recommend at least TRYING to paint and see if you enjoy it.

Obviousy I paint my own figures, and the results can be seen in this thread. I have very little talent for painting, I don't think I am a visual arts kind of guy and also my hands tremble like a motherfucker. Yet I can produce figures that are totally decent for gaming (if I may say so myself).

I painted some figures when I was a little kid, both 1:35 WW2 stuff and 25 mm fantasy stuff. This was very basic painting. Fast forward to 2004 when I picked up painting Warhammer 40k stuff. The first figure I tried to paint looked like CRAP. The second looked a lot better. The third I was pretty happy with (and I would still use him on the table today). If you get a painting guide and learn some very simple techniques you can produce totally decent stuff. When you've learned to use washes and highlights, and drybrushing, you can do a lot of figures justice. These are very simple techniques, and pretty much all I use.

I can get more technical later if you're interested. I can mention though that when I started out I painted from a black basecoat and inside and out. These days I paint from a white basecoat and outside and in.

Bottom line: if I can do it so can you. And it is very satisfying to look at a model/squad/army that you painted yourself.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

clandestino

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll have some more questions when I buy the miniatures and I'll come back to this thread for some guidance.

@Benedict Arnold: That seems like a cool game, but the time period is a little bit to modern for my tastes (looking for something until the XVI century) and I believe it could get difficult here to find people interested in a simulation of a war that most people don't even know. :(

Nevertheless really apreciated the suggestion. :)

Sophie Scholl

I agree with Brain's bottom line.  It takes a bit to work out what works best for you in terms of a painting style, but the pride of having done it yourself is pretty cool.  Also, it allows you to customize them however you want and add in as many or as few personal touches as you want over time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

I ordered some naval wargaming rules (Seekrieg 5 and Command at Sea 4th Ed), just because I'm generally into sea shit right now.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

If anyone's interested Warhammer Fantasy Battle is gone. 8th Ed was the last. Now there's Age of Sigmar, which is a different game.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2015, 03:57:25 AM
If anyone's interested Warhammer Fantasy Battle is gone. 8th Ed was the last. Now there's Age of Sigmar, which is a different game.

Which explains why they do Total War now - it's based on the old setting. With all the crappy licensed games that have come out, the one thing everyone wanted - a computer version of the actual game - was never there for obvious reasons; and I guess Total War will be the closest we'll get to it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malicious Intent

You can get the complete rules for free on the GW website. And by complete I mean all 4 (four!) pages of it. Talk about dumbing down the game...

The Brain

The nerdrage is strong, obviously. One thing that I find a little strange is stuff like
Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg's
skill is as legendary as his moustache is
magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit
rolls when attacking with the Runefang
so long as you have a bigger and more
impressive moustache than your opponent.

Having rules that favor men over women? I'm not sure GW is in tune with the times. But maybe there are equal numbers of rules that favor men and women, I haven't read them all.

sbr

Is there a faction with old Italian women?

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on July 04, 2015, 09:31:37 AM
Is there a faction with old Italian women?

I don't think they are a huge player demographic, no.

Sophie Scholl

Somehow I knew they would fuck it all up.  I was tempted to read the End Times books out of a love for the setting, but... *shudder*  Such a disappointment. :(

edit:  Ok, I watched their intro movie to the box set.  How idiotic.  It's almost identical to 40k now in appearances.  The high fantasy element seems to be totally gone.  This is a White Wolf level of self mutilation and terrible marketing decision making.

The Brain

I can understand why GW would like to push WFB into 40k, but it makes it extremely unlikely that I will buy any Age of Sigmar stuff.