News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Just came across this company the other day. They have some nice minis, especially for 40K imperial guard: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2013, 03:57:22 PM
Just came across this company the other day. They have some nice minis, especially for 40K imperial guard: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/

Interesting, didn't know about them.

In other news I am toying with the idea of doing a 40k army.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

The new Space Marines codex got me inspired to start an army. Years ago I did a Black Templars army that isn't painted to a standard that I accept today, but I like them so I'm doing something similar. The concept is Iron Templars (working title), ie Black Templar symbology etc but with a metallic paint scheme (I suppose a Black Templars successor chapter). Why metallic? Because it's simple to paint, on Space Marines you need even coats over flat surfaces and I find this difficult with many normal colors and much easier with metallic ones. I want them slightly darker than the typical Grey Knights to avoid confusion, but hopefully the Black Templar stuff (I will use Black Templar upgrade packs to add extra stuff) will be obvious enough. One lesson from my old army is not to use transfers on the curved shoulder pads, it's a hassle.

I have bought enough stuff for an HQ unit and two troops units, I'll start with this and see later if I want more or if the next project is more interesting.

I'm not a person who writes a lot of fluff about his armies but I always have a general idea in my head. In current fluff Black Templars worship the Emperor as a god (uniquely among Space Marines) so taking this as inspiration I feel like only using chaplains as HQ.

For the test model the only special Templar stuff is the left shoulder pad. I'm saving the more elaborate stuff for the production models. The red on the right shoulder pad is squad color. I haven't decided how I want to base them yet.

Test model:

The Brain

Another thing: everyone in my army will wear his helmet. Helps with surviving in combat and breathing in space I reckon.

Sophie Scholl

Reminds me of the Silver Skulls Chapter or Iron Warriors pre-Heresy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

So I am assembling Space Marines, and I'm using the newest tactical squad box and the Black Templars upgrade pack which is a few years old. When trying to glue together a front chest armor piece from the upgrade pack and a back piece from the tactical squad pack I realized that they were both males! I had 4 pegs and no holes to work with. So I had to cut them off. :pinch:

Jacob

Well... traditionally, the Space Marines are a pretty male organization.

BTW - did you check out the new Dark Elves army book for WFB?

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on October 08, 2013, 06:00:12 PM
Well... traditionally, the Space Marines are a pretty male organization.

BTW - did you check out the new Dark Elves army book for WFB?

No, not yet. Did you?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2013, 01:53:16 AMNo, not yet. Did you?

I sure did. I'm a high elf player, and I certainly felt the pull from the dark side there. I think it's a decent army list - some good bits, some less than ideal, but not too outrageous either way.

The biggest thing is that they get ASF like the high elves; I guess the woodies will get that when they're up as well. They also have an army wide rule that lets them reroll 1s to wound.

The Brain

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2013, 03:58:20 PM
BUT they are cartoonishly evil.

In Warhammer?  :o

But yeah... cartoonishly evil, so I'll be sticking with my High Elves I think.

The Brain

I got the Imperial Armour Model Masterclass books from Forge World for inspiration. In vol 1 there's a section on "Adding The Trojan", with a 4 part illustrated step by step guide. :blink:

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Very impressive, sir.  I would love to have the spare funds to invest in making a Warhammer 40K or Fantasy army.  Add in some locals to play against, and I'd be very happy.  Alas...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."