News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steak help! Calling all Americans

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2010, 07:47:17 AM
sigh. I expected GullerEarnhardt to fall for shit, but you?

You disappoint me.
GullerEarnhardt?  That's a new one, and a strange one at that.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 11, 2010, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 08:49:05 PM
Pelmeni are small dumplings filled with meat.  You boil them in water for about 15 minutes, then when they're on your plate, you pour clear vinegar over them and shake some black pepper on top.  Having some vodka also helps the experience, but is not necessary.

Yeah that's it - boiled dumplings with minced meat inside.

I could see how gulping copious quantities of vodka might make it seem better; in fact, that phenomenon probably explains how Russian cuisine got they way it is.
There is no pleasing you, Mrs. Robinson. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2010, 07:56:16 AM
* Brazilian restaurants are ridiculously cheap.

Sadly that is not always the case.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 10:17:02 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2010, 07:47:17 AM
sigh. I expected GullerEarnhardt to fall for shit, but you?

You disappoint me.
GullerEarnhardt?  That's a new one, and a strange one at that.

If I was thinking straight, it would have been GullerHenryFord.

But it was early.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I can see why some people would not find Russian food appealing.  You have to have a taste for simplicity, which is probably not the attritube of someone who's deeply into red wines.  Russian cuisine is relatively simple, and doesn't have many fancy ingredients.  However, I disagree that it's revolting or doesn't taste well, except for exceptions present in any cuisine.  Of course, I'm obviously biased, since I'm been raised on that cuisine, and I'm straight.

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on March 10, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 10:36:51 AM
Well Done with half a bottle of A1 sauce poured on it.

You're dead to me :mellow:

I have to say, the Argies do steak better than anyone with their asado.  Free-range beef, slow-grilled over charcoal, preferably rare or medium rare-- so good that you only need to flavor it with salt.  For the lesser cuts of meat, chimichurri does a good job elevating the taste.

Hopefully the empty-headed populists running the Argentine gov't. are deposed soon, so that the unique Argie steak culture can survive.

Churrasco with chimichurri is a gifts from the Parrillada Gods.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 11, 2010, 10:19:04 AM
Sadly that is not always the case.
Ok, well I should have said "they are ridiculously cheap in suburban Boston."

The equivalent in Louisville are Cuban restaurants... we have some excellent, cheap Cuban joints here because (for some reason) Louisville has a large Cuban refugee population.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 10:56:04 AM
I can see why some people would not find Russian food appealing.  You have to have a taste for simplicity, which is probably not the attritube of someone who's deeply into red wines.  Russian cuisine is relatively simple, and doesn't have many fancy ingredients.  However, I disagree that it's revolting or doesn't taste well, except for exceptions present in any cuisine.  Of course, I'm obviously biased, since I'm been raised on that cuisine, and I'm straight.
I have never actually been to a Russian restaurant, but I would have to say that I think it's unlikely that the cuisine as a whole sucks.  I *have* been to tons of other ethnic restaurants and I've never encountered a single cuisine where everything seemed to be horrible.

Off the top of my head I can say I've been to restaurants specializing in the following: Afghani, Alsatian, Brazilian, Cambodian, (real) Chinese, Cuban, Ethiopian, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Jamaican, Japanese, Korean, Lebanese, Malaysian, Mexican, Persian, Puerto Rican, Spanish, Swiss, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2010, 07:56:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2010, 06:50:47 AM
The one in Kiel was great. They had a fantastic buffet with starters, and the meat and veggies they kept bringing to your table was superb. Of course you should plan three or four hours minimum to fully appreciate all the food they try to shove unto our plates and leave some room for deserts.
My experience with Brazilian restaurants can be summarized as follows:

* The food tastes awesome.
* The portions are enormous.
* Brazilian restaurants are ridiculously cheap.
* It must be illegal to be a young Brazilian woman and be ugly... either that or Brazil has some of the world's best genes. :perv:

Seriously, one time Princesca and I ate at a Brazilian diner up there and the total bill was $5 (including tip).  We were laughing after we got the check.  The food we'd just had was awesome, too.  :cool:

You pay 25 at a place downtown for the main course (i.e. all you can eat). Drinks/deserts are extra.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I second Argentinian is awesome. Best steak I've ever had...
Never had Brazillian, really want to try it though. Those uber big kebabs.... and yeah, Brazillians are probally the hottest people around.
I've never had Russian food but Czech, Slovakian and to a lesser extent Polish is good.

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2010, 05:44:31 AM
Right on Germany but wrong on the others.  The US was the second most popular destination for Poles in the Post War period.
I'm not so sure, Britain had huge Polish immigration. A lot of it though was servicemen who just didn't go home, not new immigrants as such so that may do something with the numbers.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Russian food is but a pale and tasteless imitation of Ukrainian cooking.

And Cal: Ethiopian food sucks.  All of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2010, 01:46:43 PM

No way.  Highly spiced raw steak:  delicious.

Caliga

Russian food is but a pale and tasteless imitation of Ukrainian cooking.

You must not have had much of it if you feel it can be dismissed like that.  I've eaten at 3 or 4 different Ethiopian restaurants and never had a bad meal.  In fact, the Ethiopian restaurant in Louisville serves one of the best vegetarian meals I've ever had, though admittedly you have to really like lentils to appreciate it.

Ed Anger

I like kugelis. Sure it is Lithuanian but hell, that shit is good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Not so.  Nothwithstanding the endorsement from the gas-em-up gourmand.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson