And we're back!

Main Menu

The Public's ebbing trust in complex science

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2010, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2010, 06:05:06 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
It is amazing how gullible people will believe anything simply based on somebody's assertion of expert authority.

I agree.  It is amazing how you vomit out such information as if it were absolutely true.
You might want to pick up reading instead of relying on blind faith.  Who knows, you might learn something.  Then again just going with the flow is so much easier, no need to examine facts, no need to challenge authority.

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 06:19:28 PM
You might want to pick up reading instead of relying on blind faith.  Who knows, you might learn something.  Then again just going with the flow is so much easier, no need to examine facts, no need to challenge authority.
:lmfao:

Razgovory

I'm always amazed that in this country a politician or pundit can say "don't believe anyone but me.  Anyone who contradicts me (such as the media or scientists or whatever), is a liar", and people will actually do what he says.  Soviet leaders didn't have that kind of control over their people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 06:22:18 PM

http://www.nationalreview.com/

Your first, last, and only stop for reading facts and not relying on blind faith.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Good, persuasive argument.  Exactly what I expect from the envirofundies.

grumbler

I am disappointed. Only half of the Shrillustrious Brigade is here, and so the Shrillumination is only half as bright as it should be.  Where is Martinus?

My popcorn grows cold.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

QuoteShrillumination

You have to be a 10th level poof to cast that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 06:58:37 PM

What do you expect?  Not only did you provide the setup for the joke, but you then also went ahead and told the joke itself.  How can I say anything to top the quoted text?

In case it's not clear to you what I mean, let me elaborate.  As a poster, you have a reputation for regurgitating the most extreme of viewpoints, and only doing that.  The kind of sick mind that would come up with the stuff you parrot certainly is not capable of rationally analyzing facts on their own, and neither does the sick mind that blindly adheres to it.  Therefore, to hear you lecture people about thinking on their own invites uncontrollable laughter.

Is it completely fair to characterize you in this way, to imply that you're nothing but a drone?  Of course, without a doubt.  The only time you employ critical thinking is when trying to decide which NRO talking point applies to the thread in question.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 07:13:56 PM
What do you expect?  Not only did you provide the setup for the joke, but you then also went ahead and told the joke itself.  How can I say anything to top the quoted text?

In case it's not clear to you what I mean, let me elaborate.  As a poster, you have a reputation for regurgitating the most extreme of viewpoints, and only doing that.  The kind of sick mind that would come up with the stuff you parrot certainly is not capable of rationally analyzing facts on their own, and neither does the sick mind that blindly adheres to it.  Therefore, to hear you lecture people about thinking on their own invites uncontrollable laughter.

Is it completely fair to characterize you in this way, to imply that you're nothing but a drone?  Of course, without a doubt.  The only time you employ critical thinking is when trying to decide which NRO talking point applies to the thread in question.
Wow.  Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2010, 10:05:24 AM
Evidence that global climate change is happening is very strong.

Evidence that global climate change is happening due to human activity is less convincing, but still pretty good.

Evidence that Hong Kong should do something about global climate change is, however, very weak.

Evidence that I personally should lower my standard of living for the off chance that a sufficiently large number of people in the rest of the world will do the same thing just so global climate change can be averted is absolutely nil :contract:
http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/amazing-pictures-pollution-in-china/

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 07:13:56 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 06:58:37 PM

And just like a typical lefty you are unable to make a coherent argument other than "if you disagree with me you're wrong".

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 07:25:37 PM
And just like a typical lefty you are unable to make a coherent argument other than "if you disagree with me you're wrong".
Are we arguing about global warming? :unsure:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 07:27:47 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 07:25:37 PM
Are we arguing about global warming? :unsure:
Surely not even you could believe that!  The argument is about man's contribution to it, and therefor man's ability to influence it.  Personally, I haven't made up my mind on the latter, and my faith in the former is quite shaken.

And you?

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 07:30:39 PM
Surely not even you could believe that!  The argument is about man's contribution to it, and therefor man's ability to influence it.  Personally, I haven't made up my mind on the latter, and my faith in the former is quite shaken.

And you?
Honestly, I never really cared about the topic.  The only exception was the effect of GW on hurricane frequency, but that was work-related.  I don't like to pontificate about the subjects where it's impossible for me to have the tools to reason some things out on my own.  Regardless of that, I know better than to put any stock into what people who embrace anti-intellectualism as a religion think about the subject.

I just joined this scramble when Hansy made himself the subject.