And we're back!

Main Menu

Final Fantasy

Started by Darth Wagtaros, March 08, 2010, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 09, 2010, 08:00:32 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 08, 2010, 06:31:45 PM
12 was alright.  Story was awful but the combat and game mechanics were enjoyable and it was a large world to explore.

Really just want a FFVII remake though.

Should've never left Midgard in that game. That first part was the best.
True enough.
A entire game with you as a terrorist just running around blowing up reactors and whatnot would have been great.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2010, 06:00:04 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 09, 2010, 08:00:32 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 08, 2010, 06:31:45 PM
12 was alright.  Story was awful but the combat and game mechanics were enjoyable and it was a large world to explore.

Really just want a FFVII remake though.

Should've never left Midgard in that game. That first part was the best.
True enough.
A entire game with you as a terrorist just running around blowing up reactors and whatnot would have been great.

:thumbsup: Damn Straight!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Fate

That would have been a terrible game. FF7 rocked because you had such a large world to explore.

Cecil

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Fate on March 11, 2010, 01:07:04 PM
That would have been a terrible game. FF7 rocked because you had such a large world to explore.

A whole wide world filled with blah.
Just like most 8-bit era JRPGs, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 11, 2010, 06:20:38 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 11, 2010, 01:07:04 PM

A whole wide world filled with blah.
Just like most 8-bit era JRPGs, too.

Disagree. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

Looks like 13 is out. Anybody play it?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Word on the street that it is absolutely linear, with almost no exploration, as a direct response to the fact that 12 had almost no direction.

Personally, I think that the franchise is really weakening, and has been for years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

It's been downhill since III (VI if you're Japanese).  VII was a downgrade, VIII was an even bigger downgrade.  It just keeps getting worse.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

III was the last one I played.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2010, 10:06:17 PM
Word on the street that it is absolutely linear, with almost no exploration, as a direct response to the fact that 12 had almost no direction.

Personally, I think that the franchise is really weakening, and has been for years.

Haven't Final Fantasys been that way for awhile? World exploration hasn't really been a hallmark of the series in quite some time, unless you consider traveling on a world map from point A to point B < exploration >

I think the last one that was really semi-non-linear was maybe 3/6. After the floating continent, you were pretty much free to reassemble your allies in whatever order. You could even go straight to the final boss. 7 had a little exploration in that there were some side quests to chase after.

What is different now?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 22, 2010, 09:49:52 PM
Looks like 13 is out. Anybody play it?

I'm playing it. 

Pros -

Stunning graphics
Compelling story
Interesting battles.  Player actions have a real impact on outcome.  The battles don't feel too repetitive.  Less micromanagement than previous installments.
Good general production values - the voice acting is good, the music is good, the scenaries are well-designed, battle difficulty and balance is good, etc.

Cons -

Extremely linear so far (I'm up to Ch. 7).  There is basically no exploration, no talking to NPCs, no choice whatsoever.  It is so linear that I won't call it an RPG.  It is a movie, one in which you are not allowed to watch the next part until you fight and win some battles. 
No real choice and trade-offs in character development.  They have an interesting system in place, but it is just an illusion.  In reality the players don't need to choose how to develop their characters. 

My verdict - if you don't mind the linear aspect, it is an addictive game well-worth the investment.  If that aspect really bothers you, then this is not your game. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2010, 10:06:17 PM

FF7 is the high point of the series. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I've not played it but my idiot of a flatmate bought it and his beast of a gf played it through.
It apparently takes all the bad things from 12 and expands on them. Just dungeons, dungeons, dungeons.
FF is dead to me. It reached its best with X and there it also ended.
██████
██████
██████