How many tastes are there?

Started by Martinus, April 07, 2009, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Sweet
Sour
Bitter
Salty

Is "savoury" a separate taste or not? I think some people think it is, but others don't.  :huh:

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

There is a fifth tase sense too, umami.  Umami is the taste of glutamate.  Savory has nothing do do with taste, he was not even a good general.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2009, 12:41:13 PM
There is a fifth tase sense too, umami.  Umami is the taste of glutamate.  Savory has nothing do do with taste, he was not even a good general.
Isn't is called the "meaty" aka "savoury" taste, actually? It's like the soy sauce, no?

Ed Anger

I think we all agree that marti has no taste.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2009, 12:53:50 PM
I think we all agree that marti has no taste.
He is the zero-taste.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

There is a fifth tase sense too, umami.  Umami is the taste of glutamate.

Correct, hence the need for MSG.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

vinraith

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2009, 12:44:13 PM
Isn't is called the "meaty" aka "savoury" taste, actually? It's like the soy sauce, no?

Yup, it's just "savory" with a retarded Japanese name.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Zero calories, same great taste.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

syk

I learned that the tongue can differentiate 4 tastes, all others are actually smells. Or rather stimuli to the nose nerve.

Alatriste

How many tastes are there? Two. Good and none.

Signed: Georges Brummell and Petronius Arbiter.

PDH

Quote from: vinraith on April 07, 2009, 05:10:46 PM
Yup, it's just "savory" with a retarded Japanese name.
A Japanese researcher discovers it, he gets to name it.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM