News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quitting sugar

Started by DGuller, March 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on March 07, 2010, 03:03:49 PM
Go on Marti, please explain your conspiracy theory on why five carbon sugars are deadly but six carbon sugars are good.  :rolleyes:

Like CC said, the jury is out on the safety of HFCS.

MSNBC article saying it's fine in moderation

Weston A. Price article saying it's not

And honestly, the more I read, the more confused I am. :(

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2010, 02:52:47 PM
If high fructose corn syrup was actually deadly, the US would have a population of like 25 people, all of whom would be crazy food conspiracy types.  :blush:

I used the word "deadly" to mean it is harmful as it causes obesity, not that it kills you. Sorry.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 07, 2010, 02:00:05 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2010, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 07, 2010, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
The problem isn't the obvious sugar in sweet stuff, which we all need for the odd energy boost, it's the hidden stuff in savoury foods. I couldn't eat a load of stuff in the US as it just tasted so sweet with added corn syrup. Sweet steaks? No thanks.
Americans love putting sugar on meat. I haven't figured it out yet either.

WTF

It sounds crazy, but the other day I had a filet mignon that had shoots of frosting inserted after it was cooked and was covered in a light frosting. Absolutely delicious--it was like a combination cake and steak with the best qualities from each. You really have to try it to understand that it works.

I've also had a hot dog prepared in a similar manner, but that wasn't nearly as good.

Well, as long as you are not overweight, I guess it's fine.

Monoriu

The only way to lose weight is not to eat enough.  If I feel hungry all day, I will lose weight.  Simple and cost effective. 

Lettow77

Sugar is delightful and delicious.
It is not a necessary evil, but a positive good.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on March 08, 2010, 03:26:36 AM
I used the word "deadly" to mean it is harmful as it causes obesity, not that it kills you. Sorry.
My embarrassment was not directed at you but rather at my fellow Americans since we eat such an absurd amount of that stuff. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on March 08, 2010, 03:37:18 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 07, 2010, 02:00:05 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2010, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 07, 2010, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
The problem isn't the obvious sugar in sweet stuff, which we all need for the odd energy boost, it's the hidden stuff in savoury foods. I couldn't eat a load of stuff in the US as it just tasted so sweet with added corn syrup. Sweet steaks? No thanks.
Americans love putting sugar on meat. I haven't figured it out yet either.

WTF

It sounds crazy, but the other day I had a filet mignon that had shoots of frosting inserted after it was cooked and was covered in a light frosting. Absolutely delicious--it was like a combination cake and steak with the best qualities from each. You really have to try it to understand that it works.

I've also had a hot dog prepared in a similar manner, but that wasn't nearly as good.

Well, as long as you are not overweight, I guess it's fine.
No it isn't.  Frosting? Filet migion? That's like pissing all over it.
PDH!

Valdemar

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that DGuller's current title is Sugar Glider? :D

V

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2010, 03:56:31 AM
The only way to lose weight is not to eat enough.  If I feel hungry all day, I will lose weight.  Simple and cost effective.
Not simple at all.  If you feel hungry all day, then you're very unlikely to stick with your diet for long.  The holy grail of dieting is losing weight without needing enormous willpower 24/7.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2010, 10:02:34 AM
Not simple at all.  If you feel hungry all day, then you're very unlikely to stick with your diet for long.  The holy grail of dieting is losing weight without needing enormous willpower 24/7.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Yep.  Tapeworms are the only diet tool that actually work.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2010, 10:34:49 AM
Yep.  Tapeworms are the only diet tool that actually work.

Not sure I understand why though.

I get that the tapeworms are getting much of the sustenance out of your food; but aren't the *tapeworms* getting fat off of it? Since they are inside you, you would weigh as much as before!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I'm guessing they have a much higher metabolism than we do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2010, 10:02:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2010, 03:56:31 AM

Herion will take care of the hunger

DGuller

Thank you, Wiggin.  Now I'm losing weight not only from reduced appetite, but also from increased vomiting.