Main Menu

Quitting sugar

Started by DGuller, March 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Loki Liesmith is lockd up with venom being splashed in his face. :( 
PDH!

Grey Fox

I can't quit sugar, I've tried I dont even last a full day.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2010, 10:30:47 PM
Loki Liesmith is lockd up with venom being splashed in his face. :(
Bummer.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2010, 10:51:55 PM
I can't quit sugar, I've tried I dont even last a full day.
The first day or two is the hardest, as with any habit that you're trying to break.  In my case, though, pretty soon I found the sugary stuff too sweet.

Lucidor

I sort of believes quick carbs are bad for you, even if I don't buy into the no-carbs at all diet some people are religious about. It's the insulin that helps you put on weight, and that gets raised by the sugar. Also, falling and rising blood sugar levels make you hungrier and makes you eat more than a level blood sugar would.

If it's any help, I think maltose is better than sucrose, and maltose is in beer... :D

Congrats, dguller!

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2010, 04:42:01 PM
Venom is like spices.  It's most effective when used sparingly.  Maybe that could be thing you could try cutting down on.

False.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2010, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2010, 05:53:37 PM
I think Gully is a goddamned communist with that junk food hatred.
Fuck you, Brutus! 

Yeah, take it out on the brown blob thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Lucidor on March 07, 2010, 03:31:01 AM
It's the insulin that helps you put on weight, and that gets raised by the sugar. Also, falling and rising blood sugar levels make you hungrier and makes you eat more than a level blood sugar would.

This is sort of where I came from in all my weight loss (130lbs over 5 years).  The no-carbs is BS, but keeping a reasonable bloodsugar level and not having massive insulin releases seemed to me to be a good thing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM
For a long time, I though that there is no such thing as bad food that's responsible for obesity.

Seriously? Wow.  :huh:

Martinus

The problem with refined sugar (and other high-caloric artificial/highly processed foodstuffs) is that our bodies have not evolved to be used to them. So when they encounter it, they think it's like a fucking Christmas and begin storing it for the lean years. Since lean years never come, it just gets stored and stored. And since evolutionarily, the best way for a guy to store extra fat is around his waist (as this, at least at first, does not affect his physical prowess in a same way as storing it around his limbs would), we grow our bellies fairly quickly.

So in short, from the metabolism perspective, it's better to get your carbs from the sources that are available naturally (fruits, vegetables, honey, non-sweetened fruit juices) than from processed stuff (like refined sugar, not to mention the most evil of them all, high-fructose corn syrup).

Brazen

The problem isn't the obvious sugar in sweet stuff, which we all need for the odd energy boost, it's the hidden stuff in savoury foods. I couldn't eat a load of stuff in the US as it just tasted so sweet with added corn syrup. Sweet steaks? No thanks.

Anyway, getting used to energy drinks and gels to get me round the marathon. They have lots of different refined carbs, including maltodextrin.

Malthus

My own prescription for dieting is to more or less eat the same foods every day during the week, only eating out friday nights or on special occasions.

Typically, I have the following for breakfast:

- 1 apple
- 1 bowl low-fat yogurt
- 2 melba toasts
- cuppa tea

Unless I'm going to the gym, when I have 1 bowl of cereal (bran flakes) plus a protien bar after work-out.

For lunch:

- 1 large mixed tomato salad (tomatoes, onions, peppers, radishes)
- low-fat dressing
- 1 order of meat (1/2 sliced chicken breast or 3 slices of low-fat turkey plus 2 slices of low-fat cheese)
- 2 melba toasts
- 1 can of diet pop

Snack, halfway through the afternoon: 2 melba toasts

Dinner: 1 order of meat (1/2 chicken breast, salmon steak, shrimp, lean beef, etc.)
- 1 large serving of vegitables (broccoli, cauliflower, beans)
- 1 can diet pop

Snack, later in evening: 1 bowl of mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, rasberries) mixed with low-fat yougurt.

Tea and water during the day.

It has worked okay with me - I lost a lot of weight and, so far, been able to keep it off. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Watch Alton Brown's Life Free or Diet.  I've lost 12 pounds, and started making the fruit smoothie thing for breakfast. 
PDH!

Maximus

Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
The problem isn't the obvious sugar in sweet stuff, which we all need for the odd energy boost, it's the hidden stuff in savoury foods. I couldn't eat a load of stuff in the US as it just tasted so sweet with added corn syrup. Sweet steaks? No thanks.
Americans love putting sugar on meat. I haven't figured it out yet either.