News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iceland to vote on repaying 'debt'

Started by Savonarola, March 04, 2010, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:26:57 PM
Debtors holding a vote whether or not to repay their debt is a bit like criminals sitting on a grand jury.
For your analogy to hold Icelandic voters would have to have the power to set their own credit rating.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2010, 04:47:11 PM
Debtors holding a vote whether or not to repay their debt is a bit like criminals sitting on a grand jury.
For your analogy to hold Icelandic voters would have to have the power to set their own credit rating.

In a sense they do, because if they decide not to pay, there is no way (short of an invasion) to force them to pay. Last time I checked there no world government to make them.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2010, 05:54:11 PM
Iceland sounds very mature.

1,000 years of carefully recorded inbreeding works wonders.

Jaron

They should prostitute their elves out. If they are as good as it claims it could be quite the windfall for that warrior nation.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2010, 05:55:51 PM

What Wonder of the World is in Iceland?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 05:48:13 PM

In a sense they do, because if they decide not to pay, there is no way (short of an invasion) to force them to pay. Last time I checked there no world government to make them.

They can default; but will then have the same status as Argentina.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2010, 05:57:19 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2010, 05:55:51 PM

What Wonder of the World is in Iceland?

World's Largest Rotten Cod.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 04, 2010, 05:57:29 PM
They can default; but will then have the same status as Argentina.

Is Iceland claiming the Hebrides?

garbon

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2010, 05:59:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2010, 05:57:48 PM
World's Largest Rotten Cod.

Eww. Sounds deliberately unsexy.

Well, this is the land that spawned Björk after all.

The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2010, 04:45:09 PM
Ah, OK.  Off the top of your big fat head do you happen to know what rate the Brits and Dutchies are offering?

effectively 6% iirc
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

In this case they can, sort of. If they can convince the Norwegians that the British and Dutch are being unreasonable then we'd be loaning with the Norwegian credit rating as a base since the norwegians will then either guarantee the loan (easy to convince norwegians to do as the public doesn't think they are actually losing money) or loan us at "cost". Very generous if you ask me. Not logical at all. This is effectively (from the norwegian point of view) helping out a relative.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.