Main Menu

Your smackdown of the day

Started by Ed Anger, March 04, 2010, 11:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2010, 10:47:46 PM
Quote from: Korea on March 04, 2010, 10:44:56 PM
I don't get it.  :hmm:
80 students does not necessarily equal 80% of the class.

Oh, I think I wasn't paying attention.
I want my mother fucking points!

Alcibiades

That was my problem too, until they abruptly brought my error to my, and everyone else's attention.   :sleep:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 04, 2010, 08:46:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2010, 07:08:58 PM
MBA students suck, but MBA students that refer to themselves as MBA Candidates suck even more.  Way to go, Prof!
Even worse are MBA graduates who sign all of their emails as:

CountDeMoney, M.B.A.

We had one of those as a saleswoman at RHI, but then she got fired for having a low monthly GM and constantly angering clients with her lack of tact and judgment. :)

Everyone with a Master's diploma in Austria adds it to their name. Austrians are title crazy, and addressing someone in a business conversation as "Herr Magister [so and so]" is absolutely normal.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 04, 2010, 09:25:44 PM
:lol:

You know what I realized is sad? We are hardly antagonists these days. We need to fix that. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2010, 11:52:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 04, 2010, 08:46:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2010, 07:08:58 PM
MBA students suck, but MBA students that refer to themselves as MBA Candidates suck even more.  Way to go, Prof!
Even worse are MBA graduates who sign all of their emails as:

CountDeMoney, M.B.A.

We had one of those as a saleswoman at RHI, but then she got fired for having a low monthly GM and constantly angering clients with her lack of tact and judgment. :)
Everyone with a Master's diploma in Austria adds it to their name. Austrians are title crazy, and addressing someone in a business conversation as "Herr Magister [so and so]" is absolutely normal.

The medical profession is worse.  There are over 90 different associations for credentialing and certification for the nursing profession alone.

"Can I have my MAP on my ID badge?"
"What's an MAP?"
"A Master's in Acupuncture."
"No you may not."

The researchers are even worse.  Especially Russians.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2010, 01:41:33 AM
The researchers are even worse.  Especially Russians.

Tell me a bout it. :lol:

"I'm Prof. Jerkoff from Kazanistan University, and if you don't pay till yesterday I will tell everyone you're a bad person!"

We had to change a whole lot of paperwork recently, because a doctor who had been contracted for a study found himself first in jail because of allegations of bribery (not involving us) and then in a coma.

After five years of working with a whole lot of medical doctors involved in pharma research I have to say I regard them on the same general scum level as lawyers (Languish lawyers excluded).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2010, 01:48:20 AM
Tell me a bout it. :lol:

What's funny is, they'll get all bent out of shape over the fact that they're not recognized as MDs, even though they got an MD from Boris University or wherever.  Sorry Ivan, you should've gone to a real school.

And besides, they have researcher appointments, not clinical appointments.  Just because you're on the other side of campus decapitating rabbits all day to measure how fast they blink post-mortem doesn't mean you can walk around fielding questions from cancer patients.

Russians are such high maintenance assfucks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2010, 01:48:20 AMAfter five years of working with a whole lot of medical doctors involved in pharma research I have to say I regard them on the same general scum level as lawyers (Languish lawyers excluded).

Actually, I'd have to side with the lawyers on that one.  Medical faculty are much, much worse.

DGuller

Quote from: Scipio on March 04, 2010, 10:27:38 PM
As an adjunct at two local unis (one public, one private), I try very hard to make sure that if you do not attend my class regularly or on time you fail the course.  I do this not by taking attendance, but by putting important information that I will test on in the first five minutes of class.

This has paid off in students being more timely, and paying attention.  I like the cut of this professor's jib.  Huzzah, Prof. Galloway.  I hope that you did not publish this, since it constitutes a violation of FERPA.
Sounds a little insecure if you ask me.  If someone can pass the course without attending, more power to them.  Maybe your physical presence just wasn't that important to begin with.

PDH

The prof in OP was way too involved. Students don't care...about life lessons or even what they did wrong. They don't care about decorum, they don't care about acting in such as way as to cause a positive reaction. Students believe they are entitled to their crap little whiney-assed worldview that they deserve something. Watch this prof, he is likely cracking and soon will shoot up a tenure meeting.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2010, 10:42:03 AM
Quote from: Scipio on March 04, 2010, 10:27:38 PM
As an adjunct at two local unis (one public, one private), I try very hard to make sure that if you do not attend my class regularly or on time you fail the course.  I do this not by taking attendance, but by putting important information that I will test on in the first five minutes of class.

This has paid off in students being more timely, and paying attention.  I like the cut of this professor's jib.  Huzzah, Prof. Galloway.  I hope that you did not publish this, since it constitutes a violation of FERPA.
Sounds a little insecure if you ask me.  If someone can pass the course without attending, more power to them.  Maybe your physical presence just wasn't that important to begin with.

Absolutely. In humanities and social sciences especially, as a student you are basically paying for exams and library access. Most lectures quite frankly are a waste of time.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on March 05, 2010, 10:59:35 AM
The prof in OP was way too involved. Students don't care...about life lessons or even what they did wrong. They don't care about decorum, they don't care about acting in such as way as to cause a positive reaction. Students believe they are entitled to their crap little whiney-assed worldview that they deserve something. Watch this prof, he is likely cracking and soon will shoot up a tenure meeting.
Agreed that the prof was cracking.  Whatever students may be like at your institution, professors who throw students out of lectures simply for entering the room at the wrong time, especially on the first day of classes, fundamentally misunderstand what they are there for.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

I dunno, it's hard to get work done when you have people streaming in through the first half of the class. If it wasn't the first day of class I'd have to side with the prof on this.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on March 05, 2010, 02:29:30 PM
I dunno, it's hard to get work done when you have people streaming in through the first half of the class. If it wasn't the first day of class I'd have to side with the prof on this.
I've never had a problem teaching even with students arriving late.  Obviously, they cannot make noise or ask questions until you invite them to, but mere arrivals are no challenge to me at all.

I suppose there are some teachers who cannot concentrate with any distractions like that, but that is a problem for the teacher, not the student.  Thinking that students who arrive late are committing an offense equal to "urinating on desks" is so out of line that I incline to agree that his is a man about to crack.

I would side with him if he was a surgeon or a conductor in the middle of a concert, but a teacher?  Nah.  No sympathy here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Enjoy this "conversation" between an author and a pirate.

http://nancykress.blogspot.com/2010/03/dialgue-with-pirate.html

The pirate dude writes like he is a Languishite.

it is a bit long, so short attention span folks can look at this kitty:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive