News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scourge of War - Gettysburg

Started by Vricklund, March 04, 2010, 03:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vricklund

Take Command 2nd Manassas has the best AI I have ever fought in a RTS game. I'm certainly no ACW buff so had I not gotten it for free over at Gamersgate some 5(?) years ago I would've totally missed it. Now it's one of those games I keep coming back to (eu2 being the other) time and time again.

At the end of mars they're coming out with the sequel, Scourge of War Gettysburg. This time with full MP support and improved interface. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll run on my old rig. Looks promising!

http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

I adored First Manassas and the sequel was better. I will of course get this.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Great, another Gettysburg game.  I wonder how it'll turn out?

Razgovory

Dan sickles would give an arm and leg to find out.  Or at least a leg.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Vricklund

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2010, 06:51:52 AM
Great, another Gettysburg game.  I wonder how it'll turn out?
Like I said, I'm not an ACW fan. Before I looked it up on wikipedia I had no idea who Dan Sickles was. :P So I don't really care about the meticulously researched maps, guns or uniforms. I don't care about the historical setup or outcome. I'm not even that fond of RTS games, I prefer them to be turn based.  Still there's something about 2nd Manassas that keeps me coming back.

Syt

In terms of gaming, Gettysburg is to ACW what Waterloo is to Napoleonics and The Bulge is to WW2.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I want tactical 18th century battles instead. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2010, 12:20:29 PM
In terms of gaming, Gettysburg is to ACW what Waterloo is to Napoleonics and The Bulge is to WW2.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

While I completely agree...I totally disagree.

I don't know why, but for some reason GB never gets old for me. It isn't very balanced, everyone knows what is going to happen...but for some reason I still love to game it anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I see your point, Berk. If a certain battle or conflict is of special interest to you then it's clear you want more and better games about it, or games looking at different aspects. Obviously, the market prefers the trodden path, so I keep on hoping for niche products (like that Matrix game, or HPS).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 04, 2010, 05:34:42 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Burning of Atlanta/March to the Sea game, or an FPS where you are a confused Confederate sentry who shoots Stonewall Jackson.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2010, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 04, 2010, 05:34:42 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing [...] March to the Sea game

Could be based off the Oregon Trail engine.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

ACW is gay and should fucking hang.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2010, 01:16:44 PM
Could be based off the Oregon Trail engine.

As long as you get to hunt down Secesh instead of deer, I'm in.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2010, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2010, 12:20:29 PM

ENOUGH ALREADY!

While I completely agree...I totally disagree.

I don't know why, but for some reason GB never gets old for me. It isn't very balanced, everyone knows what is going to happen...but for some reason I still love to game it anyway.

The Seven days battle would make a great game, since the sides are equal and there is a lot of variation what each side does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017