News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fame Monstress Strikes Again

Started by Grallon, March 03, 2010, 10:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on March 04, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
Seriously, though, out of the many carbon copies of female singing divas we had to stoicly bare through these last few years, she is the least painful and the most deserving of respect to date.
Agree.  She understands perfectly what it means to be an entertainer.  I think her music is meh, but I love her act.  When it comes to entertainment and getting her name out there, she is right up with the all-time best of them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

^_^  I was just enjoying "Bad Romance" on the radio a minute ago... "Alejandro" is not my favorite, but she is fantastic.  I hope she can hang on for a few more years...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 04, 2010, 07:50:48 PM
^_^  I was just enjoying "Bad Romance" on the radio a minute ago... "Alejandro" is not my favorite, but she is fantastic.  I hope she can hang on for a few more years...

I'm afraid she might burn out since I understand she consumes heavily.  She even sing a song about it (So happy I could die) - where she says how she enjoys being high but that it frightens her if she couldn't stop.  And I saw several interviews where she 'seemed' junked out (slow locution, eyes glazed out, etc).  I hear also she's a workaholic and a control freak so... there's only so much you can accomplish without pettering out.  Look at Britney Spears turned hooligan and alcoholic.

But I agree totally with you: she's the freshest and most entertaining thing to hit the media in a long time.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Grallon on March 04, 2010, 08:07:22 PM

I'm afraid she might burn out since I understand she consumes heavily.  She even sing a song about it (So happy I could die) - where she says how she enjoys being high but that it frightens her if she couldn't stop.  And I saw several interviews where she 'seemed' junked out (slow locution, eyes glazed out, etc).  I hear also she's a workaholic and a control freak so... there's only so much you can accomplish without pettering out.  Look at Britney Spears turned hooligan and alcoholic.

But I agree totally with you: she's the freshest and most entertaining thing to hit the media in a long time.

G.

I have some optimism about her future for a few reasons.  Unlike Britney, she really built her own persona in the NY club scene (and hopefully got over the taste for excess), and wasn't imposed upon from an early age to be a star.  I also think that some of her interview manner is an attempt to distance herself and remain "otherworldly" in a way, rather than actually being strung out on drugs... kind of like David Bowie in his old interviews. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

You guys watch interviews and shit? Fucking stalkers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Guess who just bought tickets to see her in Stockholm this spring. :yeah:

The Brain

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2010, 06:11:06 AM
She is a good singer (those accoustic versions are shockingly well sung) but her music...bleh.

Yeah this.  I was pretty stunned when I heard a couple of her acoustic songs, but they're just not really my style.

merithyn

Quote from: Jaron on March 03, 2010, 11:28:53 PM
Lady Gaga is a fad. She has no actual talent to fall back on.  :yuk:

Not that you're old enough to remember, but this is exactly what was said about Madonna when she came on the scene. Sheer gumption and industry savvy has kept her in the upper echelon for three decades. Only time will tell if Lady Gaga is able to make the same kind of changes that Madonna did in order to be more than a here-and-now phenom.

Overall, I like her performances. The music isn't my taste, but she's fun to watch.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 05, 2010, 03:40:58 AM
Who ate your brain?

Who ate my heart? :(

Actually I'd also like some bad girl meat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2010, 06:11:06 AM
Though it must be noted I've never heard a gay word said against her...
She's very good for a club.  Gay musical taste oscillates wildly from beat heavy club music to torch songs.
Plus any singer that seems to embrace their gay fans will get endless, undying love no matter what shit they put out (see: Cher).
Let's bomb Russia!

Strix

Quote from: Grallon on March 04, 2010, 08:07:22 PM

G.

Janis Joplin for the 2000's
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grallon

Here's the newest Gaga video - featuring Beyoncé.  Prepare yourselves for multiple pop culture references!  ^_^

Telephone

http://www.vevo.com/watch/myplaylist/#0

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Brain

Telephone is a weak song, thematically. Like, just turn off your fucking phone then.