News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brazen, you've inspired me

Started by merithyn, March 03, 2010, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I've registered to run the Champaign-Urbana Half Marathon on May 1, 2010.

Help! How do I get in shape to run 13.1 miles in eight weeks????  :hide:

Alci, you want a running buddy you can beat into shape quickly?? I need your boot-camp expertise.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

I am going to run the corporate challenge in Rochester this year. It is only a 5k though.

13 miles? Yeah, I don't think so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

I fully expect to fall flat on my face, but damnit I'm going to give it a shot.

Max reminded me of the 5k I walked shortly after he moved to the States. At the time, I'd been walking on a cane for nearly a year due to severe problems with my hips. I managed the 5k fairly well and haven't used a cane since around that time.

lustindarkness

Congratz.
My 2 cents:
First, you don't have to "run" it, you can always walk it.
Second, if you decide to "run" it a run/walk would be the best option.
Third, you have only 8 weeks? Get off languish and go for a walk!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Waiting for the store to open so that I can go get a pair of good running shoes. My old New Balances are three years old, so not the best on my poor hips and knees for this kind of attempt.

I'm trying to come up with a decent training schedule. Help?

lustindarkness

Best first step you can take, need some good shoes.

Training plans? There are many out there, I had good luck with runnersworld.com, they have a good beginners section and plenty of good info. Berry is doing a run/walk I think, usually the best way to do it. Lets see what she responds.
You start with a longer walk to run ratio, and work your way up. I think I started with like 1:1 minutes walk:run and built up to the marathon with 11 minute mile run: 1 minute walk. So I walked for a minute every mile marker (except mile 25-26, I missed the marker and felt good so kept on going).

Now, if I could motivate myself to get back into it.  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Just went for my first "run". I did six minutes 1:1, then six minutes walking, then six minutes 1:1. I'll do the same thing this evening before dinner. I know it's piddly, but it's a step in the right direction.

I am amazed at just how much more I weighed in the second 1:1 than I did in the first. I felt every freaking pound on my body for that.

For the first week, I'm planning to do the following:

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - 1:1 six minutes, walk six minutes, 1:1 six minutes x2 per day
Saturday - walk 60 minutes
Sunday - 1:1 10 minutes, walk five minutes, 1:1 10 minutes
Monday, Tuesday - 1:1 six minutes, walk three minutes, 1:1 six minutes, walk three minutes, 1:1 six minutes, walk three minutes x2 per day

After that we'll see. My goal is to be able to do 1:1 for 30 minutes at a time by two weeks from today.

The hardest part is trying to keep my throat from drying out. My nose gets stuffy when I run, so I can't breath through it, which leaves me panting and drying out my throat. I hate it.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

lustindarkness

Good Meri, I would recommend that even if you don't feel any soreness tomorrow, keep the run/jog interval shorter than the walk for a week or so until you get used to running.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Haven't managed to find time to run in the evenings, but my morning runs are going well. I upped it to eight minutes of 1:1, six minutes walking, and eight minutes of 1:1 again. Went about three blocks further doing this, and it was quite a bit easier than yesterday.

Two of the kids want to run with me. I'm not sure how that will go, or for how long, but it's nice that they want to support my stupidity.

Caliga

I did an 8K run/walk for cystic fibrosis up in Boston. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I did an 8k walk for no cabs on the street.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

merithyn

From the Runner's Diaries:

1.) I dislike running in cold rain. Really really dislike it. Like.. a lot.

2.) To date, I have kept up my run/walk schedule. Today, I ran/walked 2.7 miles in ~45 minutes. I went 1:1 for five cycles, then walked five minutes, then 1:1 for another five cycles. Then, walked one mile at a fast pace but no running.

3.) Blisters on the backs of the feet suck... like, a lot. And there are NO bandages that seem to prevent/help them, either.

4.) I apparently have exercised-induced asthma. Primatine Mist is now my best friend.

5.) I really enjoy running. Like... a lot. :)

New Goals:

Monday-Friday: 1:1 run/walk six cycles, walk five minutes (repeat three times)
Saturday: Walk 3 miles
Sunday: Day of Rest
Monday-Friday: 1:1 run/walk five cycles, walk five minutes (repeat three times); walk an additional hour
Saturday: Walk 4.5 miles
Sunday: Day of Rest

CountDeMoney

I did a 22 mile drive in the Cadillac today, and it felt great.  In fact, it felt so good, I turned around and went back the same 22 miles.