Main Menu

Topeka becomes Google, Kan., for a month

Started by jimmy olsen, March 02, 2010, 09:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That's just retarded.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-google-topeka3-2010mar03,0,6489302.story

QuoteTopeka becomes Google, Kan., for a month
It's a blatant attempt to influence the judges in the competition for a new, superfast broadband network

By Jessica Guynn

March 3, 2010

They are not in Topeka anymore.

Residents of the city in Kansas are abuzz after their mayor signed a proclamation that for the month of March, Topeka will be known as "Google, Kan."

It's part of a campaign to persuade Google to choose the city of 120,000 as the site of a 1-gigabit-per-second fiber-optic broadband network that the Internet giant plans to build as the first outpost of an envisioned nationwide system. That speed would be about 100 times faster than a typical high-speed Internet connection.

Municipalities across the country are competing to land the superfast network.

Topeka's isn't an official, legal name change; more of a request that people honor the proclamation to make a stronger case to Google that Topeka should be the one.

Interest is high. Facebook groups have sprung up to plug different locales.

Topeka has tried this gimmick before. In August 1998, the city changed its name to "ToPikachu" after the Pokemon character.

Other municipalities have gotten into the Internet name game. Halfway, Ore., earned its spot in dot-com history by renaming itself Half.com in 1999 in exchange for $100,000, school computers and other benefits.

[email protected]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Stupid.  This is what happens when the Tim's take public office.

Or maybe the Martinus'.  Though it would then be Analsex for a month.
PDH!

Jaron

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 02, 2010, 10:05:27 PM

Footville
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jaron on March 02, 2010, 10:09:09 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 02, 2010, 10:05:27 PM

Footville

Tackle, Poland.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

You all are forgetting the obligatory -ski at the end.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

They should keep the name; Brown vs. Google School Board has a certain ring to it.

The village of Springwell, MI changed its name to a very Brave New Worldish "Fordson" in honor of Henry and Edsel Ford in the 1920's.  Alas it was incorporated into the city of Dearborn and is no more.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Thankfully I never took that Frito Lay job, so I could skip the embarrassment of living there with that Google shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Topeka has tried this gimmick before. In August 1998, the city changed its name to "ToPikachu" after the Pokemon character.

:lol:  Awesome.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.