News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women and children first? Maybe

Started by jimmy olsen, March 01, 2010, 11:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 01:01:51 PM
I don't believe this is factually correct; the accounts I have read of the Lusitania was that there were in fact lifeboats, though not sufficient for the numbers of passengers and crew - six were successfully launched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lusitania#Sinking
Your Wiki link doesn't say that.  It says that some of the lifeboats could not be deployed, or were damaged, due to the way the ship was sinking.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2010, 01:52:59 PM
I don't believe this is factually correct; the accounts I have read of the Lusitania was that there were in fact lifeboats, though not sufficient for the numbers of passengers and crew - six were successfully launched.

Your Wiki link doesn't say that.  It says that some of the lifeboats could not be deployed, or were damaged, due to the way the ship was sinking.

Huh?

QuoteLusitania had 48 lifeboats, more than enough for all the crew and passengers, but only six were successfully lowered, all from the starboard side.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

How many gay men were saved from the ships?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 01:56:38 PM

Huh?

QuoteLusitania had 48 lifeboats, more than enough for all the crew and passengers, but only six were successfully lowered, all from the starboard side.
You said there wasn't a sufficient number of lifeboats for everybody.  Wiki, and you quote, says that there was.  The problem was with them being rendered inoperable due to the nature of the sinking.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2010, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 01:56:38 PM

Huh?

You said there wasn't a sufficient number of lifeboats for everybody.  Wiki, and you quote, says that there was.  The problem was with them being rendered inoperable due to the nature of the sinking.

You misunderstood my point, which that there were not enough lifeboats for eveyone successfully launched.

The point I was refuting - correctly - was that there were no lifeboats successfully launched, due to the rapidity of the sinking, and so all survivals were by swimming.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 05:45:35 PM
You misunderstood my point, which that there were not enough lifeboats for eveyone successfully launched.

Can you blame him for misunderstanding your poorly worded sentence? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2010, 05:49:15 PM
Can you blame him for misunderstanding your poorly worded sentence? ;)

Of course.  :moon: