News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stupid old men shouldn't drive

Started by Valdemar, March 02, 2010, 03:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Valdemar on March 02, 2010, 10:14:19 AM
I agree the tax is ridiculus, but the bikes is as much a convenience. Distances are short, Urban traffic lowered and parking is cheap for a bike.

On that particullar aspect Aleberta and Denmark are in very different places, geographically.
True.  I also think that Denmark's long series of evil governments have had a great interest in reducing the personal freedom and mobility of the citizenry, for social reasons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2010, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2010, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on March 02, 2010, 05:32:41 AM
In Denmark the registry tax on cars is 180% making used cars equally expensive
Wow.  No wonder Denmark looked so fucked up while I was there, with bicycles chained to every upright structure in sight.

Failed state.

I agree the tax is ridiculus, but the bikes is as much a convenience. Distances are short, Urban traffic lowered and parking is cheap for a bike.

On that particullar aspect Aleberta and Denmark are in very different places, geographically.

V

:yes:

Denmark = huge small parking lot

Fixed my own post.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on March 02, 2010, 06:24:59 AM
Stupid old men shouldn't drive indeed.
Men under 25 get a lot of crap from insurance companies and all the blame for accidents...but its usually OAPs that are to blame.

Apparently not.

QuoteTeenage Driver Facts:
Deaths. Each Year over 5,000 teens ages 16 to 20 Die due to Fatal injuries caused Car accidents. About 400,000 drivers age 16 to 20 will be seriously injured.

Risks. The risk of being involved in a car accident the highest for drivers aged 16- to 19-year-olds than it is for any other age group. For each mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are about four times more likely than other drivers to crash.

Stats. Teenagers are about 10 percent of the US Population but account for 12 percent all Fatal Car Crashes.

Costs. Drivers (both male and female) under age 24 account for 30% - $26 billion Dollars of the total costs of Car accidents in the US.

Male Versus Female. The car accident death rate for teen male drivers and passengers is more than one and a half times female teen driver (19.4 killed per 100,000 male drivers compared with 11.1 killed per 100,000 female drivers.

Valdemar

Quote from: Gambrinus on March 02, 2010, 11:28:53 AM
parking is cheap for a bike.
You have to pay for parking a bike?  :huh:

Nope, hence the very cheap parking :D

Barrister, compared to Alberta Denmark is a VERY small parking lot, 42.000 sq km or so :) and far denser populated :)

V

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2010, 12:13:28 PM

True.  I also think that Denmark's long series of evil governments have had a great interest in reducing the personal freedom and mobility of the citizenry, for social reasons.

Possibly, but they still amange to maintain a comparably large foce in Afghanistan without have to resign the government, or running away with the tail between its legs...

V

garbon

If your wife hadn't been driving, this wouldn't have happened.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien