Supreme Court to rule on whether the 14th amendment incorporates the 2nd

Started by jimmy olsen, February 28, 2010, 11:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Hoping they rule in favour of states having the right to ban firearms.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 01, 2010, 11:25:49 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 01, 2010, 12:38:21 AM
Hoping they rule in favour of states having the right to ban firearms.
STAYTS RAHTS.  :cool:
I was surprised by Lettow's consistency there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

States should have the right to pursue their own destiny. This naturally includes northern states that have in mind policies I do not agree with. I just wish each was left to their respective autonomy.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 02, 2010, 11:20:04 PM
States have the right to pursue their own destiny. This naturally includes northern states that have in mind policies I do not agree with. I just wish each was left to their respective autonomy.

Wow.  That argument hasn't held water since we did away with the Articles of Confederation in 1800.

That said, I hope this doesn't neuter the states further than it has to; my personal take is that the 2nd only affirms the collective right to a military.  Also, if the phrase "bear arms" doesn't refer to participating in military service, it'd probably have to be the first and only time I've ever seen that phrase used in that way.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 02, 2010, 11:29:27 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 02, 2010, 11:20:04 PM
States have the right to pursue their own destiny. This naturally includes northern states that have in mind policies I do not agree with. I just wish each was left to their respective autonomy.

Wow.  That argument hasn't held water since we did away with the Articles of Confederation in 1800.

1789 :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

I think your judgement would be of considerable suprise to people like Calhoun, banana. You are overly quick to credit the demise of the state as an independent political entity if you do so before the 1860's.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 02, 2010, 11:33:51 PM
I think your judgement would be of considerable suprise to people like Calhoun, banana. You are overly quick to credit the demise of the state as an independent political entity if you do so before the 1860's.
Nevertheless, there has been some serious interconnectedness since the creation of the US.  Look at the way that the South dragged the North into the War of 1812, back when the South was more powerful.  That was certainly interfering with the destiny of those states.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 02, 2010, 11:33:51 PM
No, I think Calhoun would be astonished to find people talking about states having "their own destiny" in 2010.  You are overly quick to assume that historical characters agree with your fuzzy concepts of states existing as other than governmental administrative groupings in the minds of the US (or even Southern US) populace.  States were more significant in Calhoun's day than today, but the point of creating the US from the Confederation was to link their "destinies."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!