Ole Miss Scrapping their Mascot--Colonel Reb is too Confederate

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 26, 2010, 06:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 06:41:05 AM(eg FSU Seminole,

I always thought he was the coolest mascot.  Chief Osceola throwing a flaming spear into the ground from horseback is cool as shit.  Much cooler than, say, a stupid ass drunken Leprechaun.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2010, 06:45:36 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 06:41:05 AM(eg FSU Seminole,

I always thought he was the coolest mascot.  Chief Osceola throwing a flaming spear into the ground from horseback is cool as shit.  Much cooler than, say, a stupid ass drunken Leprechaun.
Definitely a cool mascot and the flaming spear ceremony is great.  The crowd trying to yodel along to the music is a bit weak, but one cannot have everything:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lettow77

Students  have approved Admiral Ackbar by a large majority. The university has made claims that the decision is in the hands if the students, so one can only hope.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 28, 2010, 04:52:52 PM
Students  have approved Admiral Ackbar by a large majority. The university has made claims that the decision is in the hands if the students, so one can only hope.
No chance.  Lucas would sue the university into insolvency.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I guess it does make some sense - he was a Rebel Admiral after all...   :cool:

While it could happen (Lucas will lecense the hell out of his movies, so I could see him licensing Ackbar's image to Ole Miss), but that would mean the university would miss out on any licensing fees itself from a new mascot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

I heard from some source he gave the green light, but cant find any statements to that effect. I think the faculty is a greater barrier.

Still, I hope this will happen. It feels like a compromise that mitigates the pain of losing the colonel.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 05:05:44 PM

I guess it does make some sense - he was a Rebel Admiral after all...   :cool:

While it could happen (Lucas will lecense the hell out of his movies, so I could see him licensing Ackbar's image to Ole Miss), but that would mean the university would miss out on any licensing fees itself from a new mascot.
Yes, and I'd imagine Ole Miss athletic attire would become the most expensive in the world as Lucas takes his cut.

It is a fun concept, but originality is kinda the whole idea behind having a mascot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Bayraktar!

katmai

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on February 28, 2010, 08:14:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 28, 2010, 08:12:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 28, 2010, 08:11:00 PM
:)
Been used already.

As you did not cite the Washington Huskies by name I felt compelled to post :P
There were several hundred college mascots I didn't mention by name!  :lol:

The Husky clearly falls into the category of "actual animal" which is a perfectly acceptable mascot. 

This Husky mascot is not:

Bayraktar!

katmai

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on February 28, 2010, 09:34:54 PM
OMG, that looks like something out of Sav's fan fic.
It is one billion times better than the "Nittany Lion" though.

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2010, 07:10:47 PM
Ole Miss should consider that cartoon-character-like mascots are moronic (see:  Brutus, Sparty, Bucky Badger, or their late Colonel reb) and that it is better to have no mascot than suck a suckass mascot. 
What the fuck is wrong with your brain.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on February 28, 2010, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 28, 2010, 09:34:54 PM
OMG, that looks like something out of Sav's fan fic.
It is one billion times better than the "Nittany Lion" though.

If Nittany Lion were in Sav's fanfic, he'd be a creepy old child molester that watches Anne from across the street with binoculars.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers