News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

90 dead in Italian earthquake

Started by Weatherman, April 06, 2009, 12:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteL'AQUILA, Italy – A powerful earthquake in mountainous central Italy knocked down whole blocks of buildings early Monday as residents slept, killing at least 91 people in the country's deadliest quake in nearly three decades. Tens of thousands were homeless and 1,500 were injured.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_italy_earthquake

I Killed Kenny

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Damn.  If some of those towns are anything like Assisi (which is further north, but sounds like some of the descriptions I'm hearing), there will be a huge cultural loss in addition to the loss of life.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2009, 01:57:59 PM
Damn.  If some of those towns are anything like Assisi (which is further north, but sounds like some of the descriptions I'm hearing), there will be a huge cultural loss in addition to the loss of life.

You mean like in the Assisi earthquake a couple years back?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Yeah.  I was in Assisi a few years after that and you could still see quite a bit of damage, but I don't remember any damage to the basilica of St. Francis.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

syk

Apparently Berlusconi commented on the now homeless people: "You have to take it like a camping weekend." A true father to his people. Cake>bread.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, Berlusconi can be amusing when he is causing embarrassment at some summit or other but the joke wears a bit thin when some real leadership would be useful.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 01:55:46 PM
Death toll at 150 by now.

Guess all those moped helmets didn't come in handy after all.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 01:58:52 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2009, 01:57:59 PM

You mean like in the Assisi earthquake a couple years back?

If by "a couple" you mean 1997, yes.