Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Warhol was

A Great Artist
10 (31.3%)
A Con Artist
22 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

The Brain

He was definitely not a great artist, so poll logic makes him a con artist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

A skill for self promotion and being a conman are two different things.  Egon Schiele had the first, Warhol was the second.

It looks effortless because it really was.  Its a gimmick, and not even a clever one like Duchamp or Magritte would produce. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: charliebear on April 06, 2009, 12:31:02 PM
I voted "con artist."  He took existing photos and silkscreened them.  What's so original about that?

that's hardly all he did. And even then when he did that he did it better and more innovatively than anyone had ever before. silkscreening like any artistic endeavour stands or fails on the end product, of which Warhol's at the time was unique. Not so much now, in hindsight sure. To my mind what Andy did is no different from those artists who reflected images onto their canvas with mirrors in order to achieve "realism". (Velazquez, Goya, Rembrandt.) or modern Photoshop artists.
:p

charliebear

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
A skill for self promotion and being a conman are two different things.  Egon Schiele had the first, Warhol was the second.

It looks effortless because it really was.  Its a gimmick, and not even a clever one like Duchamp or Magritte would produce. 

pfft FAIL... Both DuChamp and Magritte were total con-artists. That was the whole point of what they were doing.  Urinals as art = also gimmicks. :contract: Both the surrealists and the later POP artists like Warhol understood the Zeitgeist and took advantage of it as best they could.
:p

Queequeg

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 06, 2009, 12:38:27 PM
Quote from: charliebear on April 06, 2009, 12:31:02 PM
I voted "con artist."  He took existing photos and silkscreened them.  What's so original about that?

that's hardly all he did. And even then when he did that he did it better and more innovatively than anyone had ever before. silkscreening like any artistic endeavour stands or fails on the end product, of which Warhol's at the time was unique. Not so much now, in hindsight sure. To my mind what Andy did is no different from those artists who reflected images onto their canvas with mirrors in order to achieve "realism". (Velazquez, Goya, Rembrandt.) or modern Photoshop artists.
Agree on the second, but the first is absurd.  Warhol could not have produced Saturn Eating his Son if he'd lived three thousand years. 

What I don't understand if it is so innovative, why has it aged so remarkably poorly? Duchamp and Magritte's best work are as fresh today as they were eighty years ago, while Warhol's stuff barely manages to induce eye rolling.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

I have yet to feel anything when I see Warhol's shit. Therefore it is fail.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 06, 2009, 12:42:01 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2009, 12:35:02 PM

pfft FAIL... Both DuChamp and Magritte were total con-artists. That was the whole point of what they were doing.  Urinals as art = also gimmicks. :contract: Both the surrealists and the later POP artists like Warhol understood the Zeitgeist and took advantage of it as best they could.
My point was that it was cool when DuChamp and Magritte did it, but lame when Warhol did it.  I know they did similar things; that's why I put the two of them together.  I just think that DuChamp and Magritte were far, far, far superior artists, and both went into gimmickry as fantastically accomplished artists (Nude Descending a Staircase being one of my favorite 20th century paintings), while what did Warhol do but the gimmicks?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2009, 12:45:58 PM
I have yet to feel anything when I see Warhol's shit. Therefore it is fail.
:yes:  People can mutter on about how innovative, intense, or whatever they wish to claim Warhol is, but I can see clearly that he is a hack with the ability to fool others into thinking his hackery is genius.

And he would agree with me.  I admire the man but loathe the "art."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I actually kind of like some of Warhol's work, but I don't know if I would (or could) argue that he's a great artist.  Certainly not great in the sense that Michaelangelo was, for example.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

oh, and Warhol gets points for having the Velvet Underground as a house band and getting them a record contract.

humans were created in their own image

Savonarola

Quote from: saskganesh on April 06, 2009, 02:43:43 PM
oh, and Warhol gets points for having the Velvet Underground as a house band and getting them a record contract.

He gets points subtracted for insisting that Nico sing on their debut album.   :P
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

saskganesh

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2009, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on April 06, 2009, 02:43:43 PM
He gets points subtracted for insisting that Nico sing on their debut album.   :P

ok, she couldn't sing. if they had rock videos back then it would have maybe worked better. :D
humans were created in their own image

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2009, 02:47:59 PM
What was the debut album called?