And we're back!

Main Menu

China warns US over strained ties

Started by Savonarola, February 25, 2010, 12:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

America consider yourself:  WARNED!

QuoteChina warns US over strained ties 

Beijing regards arms sales to self-ruled Taiwan as interference in China's internal affairs [Reuters]

China's military has warned the United States to "speak and act cautiously" to avoid further straining relations between the two countries, particularly over the issue of arms sales to Taiwan.

The warning, carried on state media on Thursday, also said that China stood firm on its decision to suspend a series of military exchanges in protest at a recent $6.4bn arms deal with the self-ruled island.

"The US side bears full responsibility for the current difficulties in exchanges between the Chinese and US militaries," Huang Xueping, a defence ministry spokesman, was quoted as saying.

Beijing regards Taiwan as a renegade province and views any outside contact with its government, particularly on defence or military issues, as interference in China's internal affairs.

"The Chinese side urges the US side to speak and act cautiously to avoid further damage to bilateral relations and peaceful cross-strait development," Huang said.

On Wednesday, a Pentagon spokesman said that several planned exchanges had been cancelled, including a visit to the United States by China's chief of the general staff, and a trip to China by the head of the US Pacific Command.

Sino-US ties have been rocky since US internet giant Google said last month it was considering shutting down its Chinese-language search engine and ending its China operations over cyber attacks and online censorship.

'Baseless'

Google has said it believes those attacks originated in China, and recent reports claim they had been traced back to two schools, one of which is linked to the Chinese military.

The Dalai Lama's recent visit to the US has also strained relations [AFP]

In his comments on Thursday however, Huang called the accusations "baseless and irresponsible", adding they had been "hyped up for ulterior motives".

The recent meeting between the US president and the Dalai Lama has also angered China, prompting Beijing to demand that Washington take urgent steps to "undo the damage done".

The meeting last week between Barack Obama and the Tibetan spiritual leader had already prompted Beijing to summon the US ambassador.

"China demands that the US side seriously regard China's position and take credible measures to undo the damage done," Qin Gang, a foreign ministry spokesman told reporters earlier this week.

He also urged Washington to "take concrete measures to uphold the sound development of China-US relations", reiterating that they had been "seriously affected" by the Dalai Lama's visit.

Someday I would like to read a Chinese foreign service manual.  They really have a knack for making friends and influencing people.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

We should tell them not to worry and that we're not trying to distinguish between Tiawan and other Chinese territories. We'll gladly sell arms to Tibet and Xinjiang too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

All of this because we have more medals in the winter olympics?  :moon:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 25, 2010, 01:14:19 PM

I have to admit I did enjoy seeing China get that women's speed skating gold medal last night after the officials reviewed the tape & disqualified the Korean team.  I swear I could hear the whining all the way from Seoul :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2010, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 25, 2010, 01:14:19 PM

I have to admit I did enjoy seeing China get that women's speed skating gold medal last night after the officials reviewed the tape & disqualified the Korean team.  I swear I could hear the whining all the way from Seoul :)

kekeke medal plz
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

We should pass through their MiG21 ripoff patrols, past their endangered sea turtle nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their counterfeit pharmaceutical factories while we conduct missile drills.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2010, 06:09:14 PM
We should pass through their MiG21 ripoff patrols, past their endangered sea turtle nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their counterfeit pharmaceutical factories while we conduct missile drills.

One ping only.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martim Silva

Now, now, now... if you annoy Beijing too much, they'll cut your credit and then you can't have your missiles anymore.

Then again, the US *is* pissing Beijing off, and they've stopped buying US Treasuries, so maybe you should enjoy your missiles while you still have some in stock.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 25, 2010, 08:46:04 PM

Now, now, now... if you annoy Beijing too much, they'll cut your credit and then you can't have your missiles anymore.

Then again, the US *is* pissing Beijing off, and they've stopped buying US Treasuries, so maybe you should enjoy your missiles while you still have some in stock.

Wounding the US by killing yourself is not the best strategy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martim Silva

Quote from: Razgovory
Wounding the US by killing yourself is not the best strategy.

Actually, it's more like killing the US while wounding yourself.

Don't get me wrong, China probably would like to help the US, but Beijing probably did its math [and you know those guys are good at math] and reached the conclusion that the US is going down the drain anyway, so they might as well do it.

Washington is probably doing all these things to see if it can somehow get the Chinese to buy again ('we'll keep on pissing you off unless you start buying our debt', or something along those lines).

citizen k

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 25, 2010, 08:46:04 PM
... so maybe you should enjoy your missiles while you still have some in stock.

We'll save a few for the EU v. USA war of 2048.  ;)

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteChina warns US over strained ties 

Perhaps they shouldn't tie their knots so tight.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help