Started by Caliga, February 24, 2010, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2010, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: Strix on February 24, 2010, 12:38:59 PM
More often than not they rename the school
:lol:

Works in Baltimore.

"George Washington Elementary...is now Washington Carver Elementary!" *fanfare* *gunshots*

Caliga

Well yeah I assumed the renamings are to things like "Martin Luther King Elementary", etc. :bleeding:

Here in Louisville we have Muhammad Ali boulevard, which is one I have no problem with, since he's from Louisville and he's the most kickass brotha evah. :smoke:

But Boston had Malcolm X Boulevard :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martim Silva

Bad approach. They should have used ours - just prohibit teachers from flunking students. That ensures 100% graduation rates and makes everyone happy.

Just don't expect the kids to actually learn anything. That's what calculators and wikipedia are for.

Razgovory

We don't have any real civil rights leaders from around here.  Though James Earl Ray lived here for a period of time. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2010, 09:26:28 PM
We don't have any real civil rights leaders from around here.  Though James Earl Ray lived here for a period of time.

Well if you count the James Gang...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2010, 06:52:42 PM
But Boston had Malcolm X Boulevard :bleeding:

That's nature's way of letting you know that you're in a bad part of town.   :)

Even by the low standards of Detroit, Rosa Parks Boulevard and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive go through bad neighborhoods.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

IIRC Malcolm X Boulevard ran through Roxbury. :yes: :ph34r:

Since Malcolm X actually lived in Roxbury or Dorchester for a while, I guess I can understand it though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points