Main Menu

This will make Tim's blood BOIL

Started by Caliga, February 24, 2010, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

QuoteAll educators fired at underperforming RI school
The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 24, 2010; 9:58 AM

CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. -- A Rhode Island school district has voted to fire all the teachers at an underperforming school.

The Central Falls School Committee voted Tuesday evening to fire every educator at Central Falls High School, including teachers, guidance counselors and the principal.

It's the only school in the tiny, impoverished city north of Providence. Only about half its students graduate, and only 7 percent of 11th-graders were proficient in math in 2009.

The plan was developed because of a federal effort to makeover failing schools.

The Central Falls Teachers Union says it is reviewing legal options and hasn't decided what action to take.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan applauds the decision and says "when schools continue to struggle we have a collective obligation to take action."
:lmfao: Cal's Magic 8 Ball says: Outlook not so good.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I get these weird Lovecraftian vibes. Tiny, impoverished city... underperforming school (of fishmen?). Freaks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Must be hard for Tim to see all his old teachers given the ax.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2010, 11:46:45 AM
I get these weird Lovecraftian vibes. Tiny, impoverished city... underperforming school (of fishmen?). Freaks.

Now that you mention it those photos of Tim have a certain lovecraftian horror vibe to them.  Like a radioactive monster guy.  Sort of a "Puerto Rican on the doorstep" type horror story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2010, 11:41:36 AM
QuoteAll educators fired at underperforming RI school
The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 24, 2010; 9:58 AM

CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. -- A Rhode Island school district has voted to fire all the teachers at an underperforming school.

The Central Falls School Committee voted Tuesday evening to fire every educator at Central Falls High School, including teachers, guidance counselors and the principal.

It's the only school in the tiny, impoverished city north of Providence. Only about half its students graduate, and only 7 percent of 11th-graders were proficient in math in 2009.

The plan was developed because of a federal effort to makeover failing schools.

The Central Falls Teachers Union says it is reviewing legal options and hasn't decided what action to take.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan applauds the decision and says "when schools continue to struggle we have a collective obligation to take action."
:lmfao: Cal's Magic 8 Ball says: Outlook not so good.
Central Falls is basically a ghetto.

I'm only mad that this happened while I was gone, now I can't apply for a job.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2010, 12:14:14 PM
You want to work in a ghetto?
i doubt a RI ghetto is anywhere as bad as a real one.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Strix

They do this a lot in Rochester. More often than not they rename the school and hire back a large portion of the people fired.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Strix on February 24, 2010, 12:38:59 PM
They do this a lot in Rochester. More often than not they rename the school and hire back a large portion of the people fired.
This morning I heard on the news that up to half of the staff will be retained.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2010, 12:14:14 PM
You want to work in a ghetto?
It would be a very short drive, and given how few full time jobs are available in RI due to the recession it would be a good opportunity.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

That's pretty cool in its own way. Here teachers are one of the best protected employee group (they have their trade union collective agreement put into law as a separate bill). It's almost impossible to fire them unless they do something like raping multiple schoolchildren or something.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2010, 05:42:59 AM
That's pretty cool in its own way. Here teachers are one of the best protected employee group (they have their trade union collective agreement put into law as a separate bill). It's almost impossible to fire them unless they do something like raping multiple schoolchildren or something.

That's pretty much the way it is in the U.S. The teacher's unions have a stranglehold on education reforms. That's why firing 80 of them is such big news.