And we're back!

Main Menu

Google bosses convicted in Italy

Started by sbr, February 24, 2010, 01:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

This seems like an interesting topic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8533695.stm

QuoteAn Italian court has convicted three Google executives in a trial over a video showing an autistic teenager being bullied.

The Google employees were accused of breaking Italian law by allowing the video to be posted online.

Judge Oscar Magi absolved the three of defamation but convicted them of privacy violations.

The UK's former Information Commissioner Richard Thomas said the case gave privacy laws a "bad name".

The three employees, Peter Fleischer, David Drummond and George De Los Reyes, received suspended six-month sentences, while a fourth defendant, product manager Arvind Desikan, was acquitted.

David Drummond, chief legal officer at Google and one of those convicted, said he was "outraged" by the decision.

'Ridiculous case'

"I intend to vigorously appeal this dangerous ruling. It sets a chilling precedent," he said.

"If individuals like myself and my Google colleagues who had nothing to do with the harassing incident, its filming or its uploading onto Google Video can be held criminally liable solely by virtue of our position at Google, every employee of any internet hosting service faces similar liability," he added.

Peter Fleischer, privacy counsel at Google, questioned how many internet platforms would be able to continue if the decision held.

"I realise I am just a pawn in a large battle of forces, but I remain confident that today's ruling will be over-turned on appeal," he said.

Richard Thomas, the UK's former information commissioner and consultant to privacy law firm Hunton & Williams, said the case was "ridiculous".

"It is like prosecuting the post office for hate mail that is sent in the post," he told BBC News.

"I can't imagine anything similar happening in this country. The case wasn't brought by the Italian equivalent of the information commissioner but by criminal prosecutors and we don't know their motives.

"I find it worrying that the chief privacy officer who had nothing to do with the video has been found guilty. It is unrealistic to expect firms to monitor everything that goes online."

Seeking consent

The verdict is likely to have ramifications for content providers around the globe.

Google said at the trial that pre-screening all YouTube content was impossible.

The video at the centre of the case was posted on Google Video in 2006 shortly before the firm acquired YouTube.

Prosecutors argued that Google broke Italian privacy law by not seeking the consent of all the parties involved before allowing it to go online.

Google's lawyers said that the video was removed as soon as it was brought to its attention and that the firm also provided information on who posted it.

As a result four students were expelled from their school in Turin, northern Italy.

DGuller

Good outcome.  The Italian legal system needs to be thoroughly discredited.

Darth Wagtaros

Typical eyetalians.  Over reacting. 
PDH!

The Brain

Try to google your way out of this one, scumbags.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

I think its fair to say that Italians shouldn't be allowed to use the interwebs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Thank goodness Italian prosecutors aren't wasting their time on the mafia, but are going after the *real* criminals.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2010, 02:29:32 PM
I think its fair to say that Italians shouldn't be allowed to use the interwebs.

Or courts.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

I don't see why this is more ridiculous than, for example, rulings against peer to peer sites.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 03:17:31 PM
I don't see why this is more ridiculous than, for example, rulings against peer to peer sites.

You don't?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Nopes. Both were hosting content deemed bad, without the knowledge or permission of the principal actors involved. Well, most P2P sites don't even do that. They merely point at it.
The "it's impossible to screen all content" argument is equally suitable for both.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2010, 01:51:35 PM
Good outcome.  The Italian legal system needs to be thoroughly discredited.

What are you talking about?  It's been thoroughly discredited for years.

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Nopes. Both were hosting content deemed bad, without the knowledge or permission of the principal actors involved. Well, most P2P sites don't even do that. They merely point at it.
The "it's impossible to screen all content" argument is equally suitable for both.

"Content deemed bad" is not a legal term. P2P sites are about protection of intellectual property, not "content deemed bad".

You would have a better luck comparing this to China - both China and Italy seem to have retarded laws that do not allow people to post content that does not infringe IP rights of other people, but that the government "deems bad". Anyone who praises google for standing up to China but damns them for this, is an idiot and a hypocrite.

Razgovory

I was going to say something but, I don't know enough to make a very good contribution and would likely embarrass myself.  So I'm letting Marty do that for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Someone asked me the other day about European countries I would live in (assuming the means etc).  I named some countries but pointedly left Italy off the list.  This story is a trivial but useful illustration why - the political culture of the country is just broken on a fundamental level.  Italy is a lovely place to visit, but I would never want to subject myself to its jurisdiction for any significant length of time if I could avoid it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson