And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyers are bad drivers

Started by viper37, February 24, 2010, 11:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So says study.
Lawyers top worst drivers

QuoteAccording to a recent study, 44 percent of attorneys and judges -- more  than any other profession --   claimed to have been in a prior driving accident when  comparison-shopping for auto insurance.

Insurance.com analyzed the accidents people claimed and the  professions they listed when applying for car   insurance online. They published their findings along with a list of the  Top 10 Most Dangerous Drivers by   Profession.
  Beating out groggy truck drivers and even NASCAR racers, financial  professionals came in second.   According to Insurance.com VP Sam Belden, it's because these types of  professionals have the attention span   of a gnat. He said, "Professions that demand multi-tasking – being on  the phone, moving fast on a tight   schedule – are prone to more distractions and, from there, more  accidents."
  On the other hand, government workers came in third -- and they're  not exactly known for their high-  pressure schedules. Dog groomers made the list, as did the barbers and  stylists who groom their owners. Let   us know if you can figure that one out.
  Interestingly, the least dangerous drivers by profession were  athletes (with 17 percent) and homemakers   (24 percent). While it's true that homemakers can be distracted by a van  load of unruly brats, Beldon said   most people who drive with kids "tend to take their time and use greater  caution." He also stated that "[h]omemakers and athletes also tend to  be off the road during rush hour" -- when most accidents occur.
  And, though athletes were among the safest drivers, their coaches  were found to be some of the most   dangerous on the road.
  Insurance.com's complete list of Top 10 Most Dangerous Drivers by  Profession is below.
  1.  Attorney/Judge
  2.  Financial professionals
  3.  Government worker
  4.  Bartender or Waiter
  5.  Business Professionals
  6.  Dog Groomer
  7.  Marketing/Advertising professionals
  8.  Barber/Stylist
  9.  Coach
  10. Nurse

Any lawyer can confirm? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 24, 2010, 11:12:14 AM
So says study.
Lawyers top worst drivers

QuoteAccording to a recent study, 44 percent of attorneys and judges -- more  than any other profession --   claimed to have been in a prior driving accident when  comparison-shopping for auto insurance.

See, when I read what the statistics were based on, I got a very different impression of what they meant.  :lol:

My take is that what people self-report to insurers when shopping isn't, necessarily, relective of their actual driving abilities.

An alternative headline: "Lawyers more honest that any others ... "  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

frunk

I guess the old saw about killing all the lawyers is really just good defensive driving.

Grey Fox

Dog Grooming is really a stressfull job, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

That doesn't sound like a very scientific study.  I also suspect that dog groomers got on the list because there were so few of them, and those few happened to be unlucky. 

The real studies are done by insurance companies that rate based on profession, as part of actuarial studies, and control for some of the other known variables.  Of course, that doesn't save the lawyers, they still come off as close to the worst drivers on average.

It would also be stupid to draw any conclusions as to why some professions lead to more accidents.  In insurance, so many of the variables are proxy variables, and probably represent some other causative factors not measured.  There is still so much unknown and unknowable in auto insurance pricing.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2010, 11:26:53 AM

Not may occupations where your clients will savagly maul you if they don't like your services.

And dealing with the dogs can be almost as bad.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2010, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2010, 11:26:53 AM

Not may occupations where your clients will savagly maul you if they don't like your services.

And dealing with the dogs can be almost as bad.  ;)
:lol:

Barrister

On the other hand, government workers came in third -- and they're  not exactly known for their high-  pressure schedules.

:rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2010, 11:56:25 AM
On the other hand, government workers came in third -- and they're  not exactly known for their high-  pressure schedules.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Gups on February 24, 2010, 11:58:16 AM

:face:

To be fair, though, that's a little misleading.  At least 4000 of those posts were just " :rolleyes: ".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2010, 12:06:36 PM
On the other hand, government workers came in third -- and they’re  not exactly known for their high-  pressure schedules.

you're not winning your case by raising your post count even higher :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.