The Line of Beauty
1 (10%)
Shelter
1 (10%)
The Passion of Jaron
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Martinus

My Easter week Amazon DVD package has arrived. Now need to decide which movie to see first:

Sebastiane

Caravaggio

The Line of Beauty

Shelter

The Passion of Jaron

CountDeMoney

I think you should watch something about Jews.  Like "Yentl".  Homo.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 05:27:02 AM
Why? I thought religious or historical pieces are what Easter movie season is all about.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 05:27:02 AM

Anatevka was on TV last weekend. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

You guys are not being very: helpful.

Martinus

OMG I just found out that Derek Jarman (director of both "Sebastiane" and "Caravaggio") also directed the video for "It's a Sin" by Pet Shop Boys (which, along with the video for "Always On My Mind) is my favourite video for their song.

It's a small world.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Derek Jarman's great.  His Tilda Swinton collaborations are generally especially good.  I recommend Caravaggio for its beautiful shooting and then his version of Benjamin Britten's 'War Requiem' (an incredible work) and, I think, Jubilee his brilliant punk reimagining of Elizabeth I.

I remember when I had a lecture on the Tempest our lecturer asking whether anyone had seen Derek Jarman's film adaptation.  He described it as 'starting with the shipwreck, as is expected.  In the course of the storm Ferdinand appears to have lost his clothes and seems to spend a lot of the film walking down the beach, towards the camera, in the nude.  Indeed, one might almost describe it as a disproportionate amount of time.'  Generally though he thought it was the best adaptation of 'a very difficult play'.

Don't watch Line of Beauty until you've read it.  It's a huge disappointment.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I didn't realise Tilda Swinton starred in so many of his movies. She also played the She-Wolf in Edward II, it seems. It seems the movie is only available from the US Amazon in the Region 1 encoding, though, for some reason.

Grallon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 10:53:05 AM

Don't watch Line of Beauty until you've read it.  It's a huge disappointment.

Except for the guy who plays Antoine - he's gorgeous.  Other than that - a borefest.  I haven't read the novel.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

BuddhaRhubarb

Jarman is almost as over-rated as Jaron.
:p

Capetan Mihali

I voted for Sebastiane, since it's worthwhile and the only one on the list I've seen.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)