Wireless mouse/keybard performance in games

Started by The Brain, February 23, 2010, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I just got wireless keyboard and mouse, not because I need them to be wireless but because most shit is wireless these days. My old keyboard was a cheap and crappy thing. But now my problem is that I get poor performance when the computer is working hard, accessing HD and the like. For instance in an FPS I get sudden jerks which is not only annoying but can be fatal. I had to switch back to my old non-wireless mouse but the keyboard suffers from some of the same problems.

What I have is MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 and MS Wireless Mouse 5000. I run Vista. Is there a way to solve this problem with this setup? If not, which wireless keyboard and mouse actually work well in gaming environments?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

I have a similar problem.  Wife insists in getting wireless keyboard and mouse.  Resulted in some fatalities. 

As far as I know, the only way is to switch back to wired mouse and keyboard.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on February 23, 2010, 09:12:36 AM
I just got wireless keyboard and mouse, not because I need them to be wireless but because most shit is wireless these days. My old keyboard was a cheap and crappy thing. But now my problem is that I get poor performance when the computer is working hard, accessing HD and the like. For instance in an FPS I get sudden jerks which is not only annoying but can be fatal. I had to switch back to my old non-wireless mouse but the keyboard suffers from some of the same problems.

What I have is MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 and MS Wireless Mouse 5000. I run Vista. Is there a way to solve this problem with this setup? If not, which wireless keyboard and mouse actually work well in gaming environments?
Are you sure you have the latest drivers?  I have no such problems with my Logitech wireless mice or keyboards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

viper37

I have wireless KB&Mouse for my gaming rig and I don't have any problems.  It's MS, but I'm not sure of the model.

Try with Ni-MH batteries.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Grey Fox

Not enough juice to power everything when you push multiple keys at once.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Lucidor

My mouse performance gets choppy when the receiver falls down under the desk without me noticing. The keyboard isn't affected as much. The few cm of wood may disturb the signals.

Monoriu

I really don't see the point of wireless mouse and keyboard.  I can live with the wire, and I don't want to spend money on batteries. 

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on February 23, 2010, 08:45:03 PM
I really don't see the point of wireless mouse and keyboard.  I can live with the wire, and I don't want to spend money on batteries.
It really just depends on your desk setup.  I have a wireless keyboard and mouse because I have my case kind of far away.  Plus the reduced wire clutter is nice.

As far as the batteries go, rechargeables work quite nice, and at least on my set (a Microsoft combo) the battery life seems to be extremely long.  I've had to change out the mouse batteries once in six months, and have not had to change out the keyboard batteries at all yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2010, 06:02:17 AM
As far as the batteries go, rechargeables work quite nice, and at least on my set (a Microsoft combo) the battery life seems to be extremely long.  I've had to change out the mouse batteries once in six months, and have not had to change out the keyboard batteries at all yet.
I get about 3 months out of my rechargable AA mouse batteries, and 6 out of my recharagable AAA keyboard batteries.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

My first wireless mouse, about six or seven years ago, ate a pair of AA batteries every 8-10 days, while the batteries in the keyboard part of the set lasted about four years!

The mouse I am using now (a Logitech) has a five to six month battery life, which is impressive given the large amount of usage it gets, particularly the several hours of gaming a day. Technology really has come a long way in just a short space of time with these things.

On topic, I cannot recall having any problems when playing games over the years, except when the batteries in the various mouses I have used were running particularly low. Admittedly, I don't play FPS games as they are not my cup of tea.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Is it usb?
I find with my non-wireless usb keyboard sometimes it...hiccups and reacts slowly, when it does start working again sometimes its with a endless stream of one character. Which is annoying.
██████
██████
██████