MLB Opening Day--One day closer to football season

Started by CountDeMoney, April 06, 2009, 05:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2009, 06:27:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
Ah, opening day - the closest the Royals will be all season to getting into the playoffs. :cry:
Royals are supposed to be a lot better this year. If they remain healthy they could win 90 games.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard that too.

But I've also heard that about almost every perennial loser MLB team is going to be the "next Tampa Bay".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Orioles thump the Yankees and the uberpitcher CC Sabathia.
For at least one day, baseball life is good.

MadBurgerMaker

The Rangers finally won on opening day.   Season: success.  -_-

Syt

Bucs won on opening day. Like in the past when they came up last. They can thank the Cards' closer for that who allowed four runs in the 9th. Up till then the Pirates had collected 10 strike outs, vs. the Cards' 2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Tigers lost  :(
Yankees lost  :)

Overall it was a mixed bag for opening day.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Nationals got beat up. :yeah:

Toronto won, I guess I should be happy about that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2009, 02:24:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2009, 10:27:59 AM
I am now a Yankees fan.

One 9 year old boy cannot be wrong, especially when is my progeny.
:mad: Of course he can be wrong, he's a nine year old boy, innocent and impressionable. How can you let him go down such a dark and evil path!?
The same way someone let you go down one? :P

charliebear

Sav and I were at a local sports bar last night.  The Tigers and the Red Wings games were both on, followed by the NCAA championship game with MSU.  To top it off, we didn't have to get up for beer like we would have done at home - our favorite bartender personally brought it over for us.

Folks, it just doesn't get much better than this.

edit:  ok, the Spartans and the Tigers could have won.  That would have made it better.

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on April 07, 2009, 07:48:19 AM
Tigers lost  :(
Yankees lost  :)

Overall it was a mixed bag for opening day.

Tigers gave one away last night.

Sigh...it's going to be a loooooong season.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

stjaba

The Pirates have some good young talent, Pedro Alveraz, especially. They should be decent in the next few years.

My team, the Rays, lost last night to Boston, but they've never played well in Fenway. Most "experts" think they're due for about 90 wins and 3rd place in the East, but I think the Yankees are going to flop. I do think the Rays will be good for 88-92 wins, or so, and that it will be enough to win the Wild Card.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2009, 10:27:59 AM
I am now a Yankees fan.

One 9 year old boy cannot be wrong, especially when is my progeny.

Soon you will learn to bask happily in the reflected hate and envy of boosters of inferior teams like the Red Sox and Angels.  Not to mention farcicial basket bases like the Orioles or the Pirates.

Nothing feels better than embracing the Dark Side.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 07:58:39 PM
Orioles thump the Yankees and the uberpitcher CC Sabathia.
For at least one day, baseball life is good.

To paraphrase Churchill, tomorrow Sabathia will be sober, but Baltimore will still be stuck with the Orioles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson