MLB Opening Day--One day closer to football season

Started by CountDeMoney, April 06, 2009, 05:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 03:17:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2009, 03:15:41 PM
I figured you all would pick up on the streak dating over the past 6 years in a row, as opposed to 1988.   ;)

Somehow that streak left a much bigger impression on me then them going 13-13 in 2006.

It's the Orioles.  13-13 is a real achievement.   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

stjaba

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2009, 02:27:47 PM

Let's do the same with the Sox - Varitek is a 37 yr old catcher and a gaping wound in the lineup.  Lowell came back to earth last year and is 35.  Big Papi is 33 and coming out of a down year.  JD Drew is also 33 and terribly injury prone.  Bay is 31.  Even Youk is past 30.

That leaves the youngsters which are Pedroia (magnificent), Ellsbury (who I think will end up being a solid regular but nothing more) and Lowrie (who I actually am high on but hasn't made a big impact in the majors yet).

It is a strong lineup overall but it isn't hard to imagine a scenario where by midyear, Drew is on the DL, Ortiz and Lowell & Bay are all hitting in the 260s and George Kottaras is having to play every day.  Will that happen?  Probably not - but its easy to make things look bad if you take the most pessimistic view about everyone.

I'm not being pessimestic, just pointing out that decline is inevitable. Also, since when we are talking about the BoSox? I thought the original comparison was to Baltimore, who FYI are projected to be 2nd in the league in Runs Scored, behind Boston. As for Boston, they ended up being fine last year with all the off years they had. Your points are valid, but Boston isn't quite as old as New York, and defensively is superior. I also have more trust in Boston's front office to patch up holes than I do in New York's.

There are real examples of players with Arod's kind of profile falling off like that - Eddie Matthews and Ernie Banks spring to mind.  But generally speaking, power is a skill that ages relatively well.   Further injury is always a risk, but barring that the Silver projection looks extremely pessimistic.

Maybe, but I still think A-Rod's contract is ridiculous. His power may not erode, but eventually he's going to be liability defensively or will  have to DH. Even if he reaches the record, he isn't going to performing at 2007-2008 like levels.

Besides, this analysis ignores his clubhouse presence. If you don't think that's important, explain to me why Barry Bonds doesn't have a contract, or why Manny was traded last year.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: stjaba on April 09, 2009, 03:18:49 PM
[Maybe, but I still think A-Rod's contract is ridiculous. His power may not erode, but eventually he's going to be liability defensively or will DH. Even if he reaches the record, he isn't going to performing at 2007-2008 like levels.

All true.  :(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2009, 03:18:39 PM

Even for the Orioles going 1-22 is a much more memorable achievement.

Doing something legendarily bad that stains the club forever in April sort of cancels out any legendary prowess the Os might have shown going .500 or a couple games over the past couple of years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

My main concern with the Orioles is their pitching. Any team that uses Mark Hendrickson is doomed to be awful. They're going to score a lot of runs, but will give up way more. They have pitching on the way in the minors, so they will improve in the next few years.

Valmy

Quote from: stjaba on April 09, 2009, 03:26:32 PM
My main concern with the Orioles is their pitching. Any team that uses Mark Hendrickson is doomed to be awful. They're going to score a lot of runs, but will give up way more. They have pitching on the way in the minors, so they will improve in the next few years.

Oh they will be awful no doubt, as any club owned by Peter Angelos is destined to be.   Typically the depraved fans of the Evil Empire cannot even stomach seeing Os fans enjoy a 2-0 start.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2009, 12:27:32 PM
Shitty story to pass on.

Angels rookie Adenhart killed in hit-and-run crash

The driver of the minivan was drunk and had a suspended license.  :angry:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/30138675#30138675
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 02:34:33 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2009, 04:42:26 PM
Not to mention farcicial basket bases like the Orioles or the Pirates.

The Orioles are 2-0 :contract:
In a league with that many games, a good start, or even a good first month, means less than nothing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2009, 03:49:40 PM
In a league with that many games, a good start, or even a good first month, means less than nothing.

Man you guys are really a buzz kill. <_<

Anyway they are 2-1 now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2009, 03:18:39 PM

Even for the Orioles going 1-22 is a much more memorable achievement.

Doing something legendarily bad that stains the club forever in April sort of cancels out any legendary prowess the Os might have shown going .500 or a couple games over the past couple of years.

Dude, that was 20 years ago.  People don't even remember how bad the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were anymore.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2009, 05:36:13 AM
Dude, that was 20 years ago.  People don't even remember how bad the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were anymore.

Honestly it did not seem that long ago. :blush:

I am getting: old. :(

derspiess

I'm going to see my first game of the year tomorrow.  One of the Bungles owners gave my brother a couple tickets in the outrageously-priced Diamond seats (~$230 a pop) right behind home plate.  I hear it's like an open bar & all you can eat buffet delivered right to your seat :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 05:11:46 AM
This year, the competitive team I will root for will be: the LA Dodgers.  What about you?

Cubs.  Always Cubs.  Never glory. :(
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on April 10, 2009, 03:32:48 PM
Cubs.  Always Cubs.  Never glory. :(

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double --
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."