Iran to ban airlines not using the term 'Persian Gulf'

Started by Savonarola, February 22, 2010, 02:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 22, 2010, 03:29:29 PM
That's what I don't understand - I didn't think that Iran liked the terms "Persia" and "Persian", which is why they campaigned under the Shah to get the world to call the country "Iran" instead of "Persia"? Is it because they consider the Gulf to be named for the province of Persis rather than the country? That seems rather strange to me.
Persia refers to an ethnicity, while Iran refers to a polity.  The Persian Gulf is named for the people who lived on its northern shore (and who reported its existence to the Greeks).  I think the IHO also allows the use of the name "Gulf of Iran," though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2010, 02:38:13 PM
It's not just Iran.  Iran was the host of the Islamic Solidarity games this year.  Well they were until the Saudis and a bunch of other Arabs pulled out over the use of the name 'Persian Gulf' on maps and medals.

I'd offer them a third way--as the country that actually controls the gulf with its airforce carriers, call it the American Gulf.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

The Gulf Formerly Known as the Persian Gulf (TGFKATPG for short).

Hey if it worked for FYROM...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

No wonder Arabs hate us.  All our names for the wars in Iraq contain "Persian Gulf" or just "Gulf".

CountDeMoney

ZOMG BUT THEYRE CHANGING THE GRENE REVOLUTION SHOWED US LAST YEAR AND THE REGIME WILL TOPPEL AT ANY MOMOENT AND THEYRE ALL UNDER 25 AND

Zanza

Korea and Japan are similarly anal about the sea between them, so it is not limited to Middle Easterners.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on February 22, 2010, 07:12:26 PM
Korea and Japan are similarly anal about the sea between them, so it is not limited to Middle Easterners.
Korea doesn't really expect anyone else to call it The East Sea.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeBrokenRecord on February 22, 2010, 07:03:59 PM
ZOMG BUT THEYRE CHANGING THE GRENE REVOLUTION SHOWED US LAST YEAR AND THE REGIME WILL TOPPEL AT ANY MOMOENT AND THEYRE ALL UNDER 25 AND
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2010, 07:03:59 PM
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2010, 07:16:51 PM

No, but Korean pressure groups do. Like the ones who started a mass letter writing campaign against one of my old Economic History professors because of the map on his overhead projector transparencies.  :lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on February 22, 2010, 07:36:11 PM
No, but Korean pressure groups do. Like the ones who started a mass letter writing campaign against one of my old Economic History professors because of the map on his overhead projector transparencies.  :lol:
Presumably *after* they had recieved their UK indoctrination in political correctness and the empowerment of oppressed minorities.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Warspite on February 22, 2010, 07:36:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2010, 07:16:51 PM

At least they haven't banned airlines from flying to Korea because of it. :contract:
Now Dokdo, on the other hand... ;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

We should get the North Sea renamed the South Sea. Plus start insisting that the Turks replace Istanbul with Mikligarður.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 06:40:23 PM
The Gulf Formerly Known as the Persian Gulf (TGFKATPG for short).

Hey if it worked for FYROM...

So everybody will just continue calling it the Persian Gulf except international organizations trying to suck up to the Arabs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?