News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Swiss Embassy in Libya Surrounded

Started by Savonarola, February 22, 2010, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on February 23, 2010, 12:36:50 PM
What does a Swiss dispute have to do with Europe as a whole? They made their neutralist bed, they can lie in it.
The same as some ludicrous school board decision in Kansas has to do with the US as a whole.  Makes for a controversy, contrived or not (see the marti jumping for the bait, exactly as planned, above).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were they just born with a heart full of neutrality?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

It's not like it's the first time the Swiss give up people to foreign powers. Jews during Holocaust, recently Polanski, and now this. Anyone who hopes the Swiss would think twice about turning them in is delusional.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2010, 12:47:50 PM
Quote from: Warspite on February 23, 2010, 12:36:50 PM
What does a Swiss dispute have to do with Europe as a whole? They made their neutralist bed, they can lie in it.
The same as some ludicrous school board decision in Kansas has to do with the US as a whole.  Makes for a controversy, contrived or not (see the marti jumping for the bait, exactly as planned, above).

Are you saying that cultural differences between Switzerland and, say, London, are comparable to cultural differences between Kansas, and, say, New York?

Josquius

Could this be: Swiss-Libyan war of 2010?
Now who saw that one coming....
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2010, 04:07:03 PM
Could this be: Swiss-Libyan war of 2010?
Now who saw that one coming....

vs.

:hmm: Not sure on this one.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2010, 04:02:50 PM
It's not like it's the first time the Swiss give up people to foreign powers. Jews during Holocaust, recently Polanski, and now this. Anyone who hopes the Swiss would think twice about turning them in is delusional.

We haven't been threatening to storm the Swiss embassy in Washington to get Polanski. 

QuoteAre you saying that cultural differences between Switzerland and, say, London, are comparable to cultural differences between Kansas, and, say, New York?

That would imply that Switzerland and Kansas actually have culture.  Switzerland has mountains and coo-coo clocks;  Kansas has boring, flat terrain and, well, corn.

:)

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 03:00:36 PM
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were they just born with a heart full of neutrality?

I think the non-stop ticking of a million cuckoo clocks.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Scipio

The difference between these guys and Polanski is the difference between being convicted in absentia of a crime that everyone agrees you actually committed versus the crime of being a Swiss national in Libya, which shows questionable judgment, sure, but until the Swiss started not issuing visas to certain Libyans, was not actually a crime in Libya.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2010, 12:38:53 AM
Libya needs nukes.
Libyia has nukes, but their words are not backed by them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!