And we're back!

Main Menu

Dozens held in Turkish 'coup plot'

Started by Savonarola, February 22, 2010, 11:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2010, 11:49:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 11:47:57 AM
Turkey didn't side with the Nazis.  And it wasn't a soviet puppet state.  That's 2 points for Turkey over Hungary.

The Raz makes a pretty compelling point.

I was waiting for a Mohacs joke :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on February 23, 2010, 11:52:05 AM
Turkey didn't side with the Nazis.  And it wasn't a soviet puppet state.  That's 2 points for Turkey over Hungary.

I was waiting for a Mohacs joke :P

Fuck, you people have sucked since Otto anal raped your nation at Lechfeld.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Actually, they sucked before that.  They were the bitches of Aryans, and then the bitches of Turks, who forced them in to one of the Steppe's primary retirement homes; the Pannonian Plane. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I don't even know what is being discussed.  I just like attacking eastern Europeans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 01:23:01 PM

I don't even know what is being discussed. 

I suspect that is the secret to your success.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on February 23, 2010, 01:15:43 PM
Actually, they sucked before that.  They were the bitches of Aryans, and then the bitches of Turks, who forced them in to one of the Steppe's primary retirement homes; the Pannonian Plane.

Did the mighty Ottomans ever manage to conquer entire Hungary? No. We stopped them :P We bled dry in the process, but we stopped them.

And whoever pushed us out of Ukraine we owe him one.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 23, 2010, 01:38:07 PM

Did the mighty Ottomans ever manage to conquer entire Hungary? No. We stopped them :P We bled dry in the process, but we stopped them.

Where were you in this is whole process?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 23, 2010, 01:38:07 PM

Where were you in this is whole process?

Much closer than Psellus to his admired mounted goat herders.

Queequeg

Oh yeah; Ukraine is such a TERRIBLE place.  It just has the best soil in the world, a lot of coal, and some of the best rivers for hydro-electricity.  Terrible, awful place.  Who would live there when they have vampire-infested mountains and goat-speckled hills? 

And you didn't stop the Ottomans; the Saffavids and the intervention of the Poles did. 

My ancestors were in France, England and on the Crusade. Yours were the primitive woodland peoples conquered and subjugated by Slavs.  About the same distance. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Queequee is right - I just got done saving the Hungarians while going on to win the game in Here I Stand at NBW, so it must be true.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on February 23, 2010, 01:54:27 PM
Oh yeah; Ukraine is such a TERRIBLE place.  It just has the best soil in the world, a lot of coal, and some of the best rivers for hydro-electricity.  Terrible, awful place.  Who would live there when they have vampire-infested mountains and goat-speckled hills? 

And you didn't stop the Ottomans; the Saffavids and the intervention of the Poles did. 

My ancestors were in France, England and on the Crusade. Yours were the primitive woodland peoples conquered and subjugated by Slavs.  About the same distance.

FYI, neither Raz, nor I was serious about this "my great-great-great-great-great-great granddad could beat up your great-great-great-great-great-great granddad" thing. It is very lame.
Still, for historical accuracy, we conquered the slavs, not vice versa. Even they admit that much.

And for Ukraine: it sucks. Present and historical suckiness aside, every people there on the plains were slavified, we choosed to have mountains as borders and managed to survive. Which in fact, I think is a pretty nice accomplishment considering the circumstances.

Aaanyway, back to topic. There is one hot-headed Turk over at Paradox, who claims you can get into trouble if your wife is no scarfed. Is that true? Or they are not that enlightened yet? The guy claims to know several of the arrested officers, so he is not exactly an unemtional source.  :hmm:

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on February 23, 2010, 10:27:00 AM
I'm sorry, but I really can't take you seriously after you claim an experience bonus over me thanks to a shared "Balkan mentality" (although Hungary is only occasionally considered part of the Balkans), when I'm living here and have extensively studied Turkish culture and politics.  You are starting to descend in to Sarah Palin Putin-Poking levels.
You're too close to the issue.  You're unable to keep matters in perspective.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

I was joking, too.  Hungary is an interesting place, and I have nothing against it.  Other than its inherit inferiority to both Greece and Turkey, that is. 

That would depend entirely upon the area of Turkey.  In Istanbul, in many of the neighborhoods I go to, I see fewer hijabs and niqabs than I do on my hometown campus.  Go in to Van or thereabouts, and the situation is very different.  However, "the situation" is often due to the fact that the Kurdish population is very, very conservative. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on February 23, 2010, 02:13:34 PM
There's no other word for it.

Heh, that phrase is for me always connected to Rio Bravo, where John Wayne speaks those words. Which in my mind just caused Nixon to speak with the Duke's voice.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.