News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prince vs. Michael Jackson

Started by Savonarola, February 19, 2010, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the period from 1979 to 1990 whose music was better?

Prince
16 (45.7%)
Michael Jackson
19 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Iormlund

I'm more of a Jackson fan (well, 70s and 80s). However good he was though, Prince is a genius. I mean, take look at this shit.

Josquius

Never listened to Prince. His level of fame is just magnitudes less and he was before my time so....
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2010, 03:13:01 AM
Probably Michael if you include his Jackson 5 stuff.  Otherwise Prince.

I wrote the poll specifically for the period between Jacko's first solo album and when Prince started calling himself:

That was the period of their rivalry.  Looking at their entire careers I might be tempted to vote for Captain Eo; the Jackson Five is great and his 90s albums were okay while Prince churned out a lot of crap during that decade.  Looking at the 80s specifically I went with Prince.  Prince had some misfires during the decade but overall his work is incredible and his catalog is huge.  Jacko had three solid album during the same period but, in my opinion, none of them compare with Purple Rain or 1999.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on February 22, 2010, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2010, 03:13:01 AM
Probably Michael if you include his Jackson 5 stuff.  Otherwise Prince.

I wrote the poll specifically for the period between Jacko's first solo album and when Prince started calling himself:

That was the period of their rivalry.  Looking at their entire careers I might be tempted to vote for Captain Eo; the Jackson Five is great and his 90s albums were okay while Prince churned out a lot of crap during that decade.  Looking at the 80s specifically I went with Prince.  Prince had some misfires during the decade but overall his work is incredible and his catalog is huge.  Jacko had three solid album during the same period but, in my opinion, none of them compare with Purple Rain or 1999.

Best as I can tell, Prince deliberately put out some bad material after he started using the symbol, just to fuck with the record company.