Google to launch 1gb per second broadband service

Started by jimmy olsen, February 20, 2010, 02:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

I foresee expensive as USB 1.0 only supports 1.5 Mbits/sec, and 2.0 only supports 480Mbits/sec; USB 3.0 apparently could support a transmission load this fast, but the adapters are barely present on the market as of this date.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 21, 2010, 04:16:13 PM
I was just quoting the article when comparing my speed. What's the source for your 5.1mpbs figure, out of interest?
My source is http://cwafiles.org/speedmatters/state_reports_2009/CWA_Report_on_Internet_Speeds_2009.pdf The last Akamai report is a year old, and one has to have a subscription to see it, so I don't know where the Akamai data is from or how it compares.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 21, 2010, 06:11:13 PM
I foresee expensive as USB 1.0 only supports 1.5 Mbits/sec, and 2.0 only supports 480Mbits/sec; USB 3.0 apparently could support a transmission load this fast, but the adapters are barely present on the market as of this date.

Who connects over usb?

Zanza

Don't you connect via Ethernet or WiFi to a router? Who cares for USB speed? And Gigabit Ethernet isn't particularly expensive. A lot of mainboards have it these days AFAIK.

Grey Fox

It seems that Americans like to connect their highspeed modem to their computer using USB.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2010, 09:13:38 PM
It seems that Americans like to connect their highspeed modem to their computer using USB.
Really?  You have a cite on that, or are you just referring to DSB as "Americans?"

I don't know any of these "Americans" to whom you refer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM
Really?  You have a cite on that, or are you just referring to DSB as "Americans?"

I've done it, and I've also used an 802.11 usb connector.  No cite for that proposition, mind you.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM

Yes, I was. Gross generalisation using someone who really doesn't represent the average.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2010, 09:11:18 PM
Don't you connect via Ethernet or WiFi to a router? Who cares for USB speed? And Gigabit Ethernet isn't particularly expensive. A lot of mainboards have it these days AFAIK.

Would you believe I actually forgot GbE for a second there?  Hoist upon my own petard. :blush:
Experience bij!

Jaron

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 21, 2010, 11:10:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2010, 09:11:18 PM

Would you believe I actually forgot GbE for a second there?  Hoist upon my own petard. :blush:

I believe you.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on February 21, 2010, 10:34:07 PM
I've done it, and I've also used an 802.11 usb connector.  No cite for that proposition, mind you.
But did you like to do it?

Bayraktar!