Main Menu

Rape in America's Prisons

Started by Sheilbh, February 19, 2010, 11:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on February 22, 2010, 03:02:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 02:55:16 AM
Quote from: Strix on February 21, 2010, 03:13:36 PM
Or is this pedophiles run amok praying on young boys (12-16)?

I think it is dishonest to imply that all pedophiles are religious.

:bleeding:

Who else but religious people would be praying on young boys?

Martinus

Anyway, I don't remember all people here jumping to Polanski's defense by claiming that the 13 y.o. "really consented".

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 03:08:38 AM
Anyway, I don't remember all people here jumping to Polanski's defense by claiming that the 13 y.o. "really consented".
:lol:  Like "all people here" do anything as a unit!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 02:52:39 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2010, 03:29:12 PM
I'm going to write this off as an obnoxious troll and not otherwise respond.

That's what I do with all grumbler's posts a priori. Saves me time I would otherwise need to read them.
Ah, the old "I am ignoring him" pose.  It isn't any more credible for you than for Dguller or Slargos.

My post was a dig at Strix that accidentally caught BB's wife in the blast.  I didn't expect any response, let alone two responses.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 03:01:30 AM

Again, I get it, but absence of direct coercion does not equal consent.

Is it that time of the season again?  I should calculate the cycle lenght sometime.   And I like my 15yo crispy and fresh - like green apples. ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 03:08:38 AM
I remember you jumping to Polanski's defence, pedophile.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2010, 08:23:20 AM

That's what I do with all grumbler's posts a priori. Saves me time I would otherwise need to read them.
Ah, the old "I am ignoring him" pose.  It isn't any more credible for you than for Dguller or Slargos.

My post was a dig at Strix that accidentally caught BB's wife in the blast.  I didn't expect any response, let alone two responses.

Was the post meant seriously or was it simply dig at Strix though?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:32:30 AM
Was the post meant seriously or was it simply dig at Strix though?
Just a dig at Strix and his "I am saving the world for only $70k per year" bit from last year.  I added enough detail to make it look a bit like a credible position, but certainly don't actually think that all cops, prison guards, and parole officers are scum-of-the-earth or loser types. 

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: StrixInmates hold the power. They can have a guard fired or killed without much effort if they really want to do so.                

I happen to know several prison guards.

One who has been doing it for some 20+ years and is in a supervisory position at Attica.

Another (a relative) who is in her 3rd year as a guard, so pretty new to it.

I would bet my next paycheck neither of them would agree that inmates can get guards injured or killed if they feel like it. I think I will email Strixs post to them and see how much they laugh at him.

I suppose he could justify such a silly statement by saying that *anyone* can get someone killed without much effort if they really want to - like I could go murder someone right now without anyone really being able to stop me - but I certainly could not do so without a rather serious consequence.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

This sort of thing doesn't help ...

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/2001/2001scc19/2001scc19.html

QuoteSecond, the prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Middle District of Pennsylvania and principal affiant of the Requesting State, Gordon A. D. Zubrod, stated during an interview with Linden MacIntyre for The Fifth Estate, a Canadian television program, the specific broadcast of which ("The Maple Leaf Swindle") aired on the CBC network on September 30, 1997:

MacIntyre: ... For those accused who choose to fight extradition, Gordon Zubrod warns they're only making matters worse for themselves in the long run.

Zubrod:  I have told some of these individuals, "Look, you can come down and you can put this behind you by serving your time in prison and making restitution to the victims, or you can wind up serving a great deal longer sentence under much more stringent conditions", and describe those conditions to them.

MacIntyre:  How would you describe those conditions?

Zubrod:  You're going to be the boyfriend of a very bad man if you wait out your extradition.

MacIntyre:  And does that have much of an impact on these people?

Zubrod:  Well, out of the 89 people we've indicted so far, approximately 55 of them have said, "We give up".

9                                   The appellants argue that in light of the powerful influence on sentencing that can be exerted by an American prosecutor, they took Mr. Zubrod's comments as a very serious threat. Their committal hearing commenced on October 6, 1997, within a week of the CBC broadcast.  They resisted their extradition to Pennsylvania on the grounds that: (i) they would face sentences in the Requesting State that are very substantially higher than those they would face in Canada, and (ii) they would be subjected to homosexual rape in prison.  They allege that to extradite them in these circumstances would constitute a breach of their right to security of the person and a violation of the principles of fundamental justice, contrary to s. 7 of the Charter.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 10:45:17 AM
Quote from: StrixInmates hold the power. They can have a guard fired or killed without much effort if they really want to do so.                

I happen to know several prison guards.

One who has been doing it for some 20+ years and is in a supervisory position at Attica.

Another (a relative) who is in her 3rd year as a guard, so pretty new to it.

I would bet my next paycheck neither of them would agree that inmates can get guards injured or killed if they feel like it. I think I will email Strixs post to them and see how much they laugh at him.

I suppose he could justify such a silly statement by saying that *anyone* can get someone killed without much effort if they really want to - like I could go murder someone right now without anyone really being able to stop me - but I certainly could not do so without a rather serious consequence.

Strix is exaggerating a real problem though.  Inmates are constantly trying to get guards fired.  They have nothing better to do then sit around thinking of ways to harass the guards.  That's not to say they can get someone fired at will, but many make an effort to do so.  They certainly can't have some one killed at will (or usually at all).  Typically they try to bribe a guard or convince them to smuggle in contraband.  They also try to seduce a guard and then use that to blackmail them.  This is one of the big reasons why they offer privileges like Television.  Every hour they are distracted by the boob-tube, is an hour they are plotting against the guards.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 11:50:55 AM

Strix is exaggerating a real problem though.  Inmates are constantly trying to get guards fired.  They have nothing better to do then sit around thinking of ways to harass the guards.  That's not to say they can get someone fired at will, but many make an effort to do so.  They certainly can't have some one killed at will (or usually at all).  Typically they try to bribe a guard or convince them to smuggle in contraband.  They also try to seduce a guard and then use that to blackmail them.  This is one of the big reasons why they offer privileges like Television.  Every hour they are distracted by the boob-tube, is an hour they are plotting against the guards.

I don't doubt that inmates can and will try to get guards in trouble - they are criminals after all.

I don't see that as a problem though - so what? Obviously guards need to be aware that they have to keep a rather high standard of conduct, if for no other reason than to make sure they cannot be fairly or unfairly implicated by a bunch of criminals. I don't see that as a problem, real or otherwise - just a fact of life. And it would be true no matter how much society spent on prisons.

I think the extent that Strix claims that guards in prisons, at least in new York, are under-paid losers is rather exaggerated as well. Like I said, I know a few people who are in fact guards, and they are paid rather well, have a nice pension, and it is generally considered to be a pretty decent job. Hardly anything prestigious of course, but not at all anything that "losers" do to the exclusion of non-losers. Just a decent middle class job. My niece actually has a bachelors degree, although I am not sure if that is actually a requirement or just a nice -to-have.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

It's a problem for the guards!  They don't like being harassed!

In Missouri they are underpaid losers for the most part.  My mother worked in the Department corrections in the office of personal.  The average corrections officer is employed there for about six months before quiting or being fired.  Wages are terrible and standards are pretty low.  The most common reason for termination: compromise by an inmate.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 12:15:38 PM
It's a problem for the guards!  They don't like being harassed!

In Missouri they are underpaid losers for the most part.  My mother worked in the Department corrections in the office of personal.  The average corrections officer is employed there for about six months before quiting or being fired.  Wages are terrible and standards are pretty low.  The most common reason for termination: compromise by an inmate.

In that case, you get what you pay for, I imagine.

New York is in the top-ten in prison guard salaries though.

I don't know that for a fact actually, but I would bet it is true even without looking it up.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2010, 08:23:20 AM

That's about the closest I'll get to an apology, so thanks. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.