U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D) is diagnosed with cancer

Started by jimmy olsen, February 19, 2010, 12:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Yikes, I hope he recovers. Still, at his age, even a treatable cancer is very dangerous. I had chemo when I was 19 and let me just say that I'm a little dubious that he'll be able to actually be able to carry out his duty as a senator as normal.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/us_sen_frank_lautenberg_is_dia.html

QuoteU.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg is diagnosed with cancer
By Josh Margolin/Statehouse Bureau
February 19, 2010, 11:44AM

U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, New Jersey's 86-year-old senior senator, was diagnosed with treatable stomach cancer in the last 24 hours and will begin chemotherapy today.

The Democrat still plans to finish out his current term – his fifth in the Senate – and seek re-election in 2014.

"This doesn't change any of that," Lautenberg's chief aide, Dan Katz, said of the senator's political plans. "After he receives his treatment, back to normal."

Moments ago, Lautenberg's office issued a statement from the senator's oncologist, James F. Holland, saying:

"We expect a full and complete recovery for Senator Lautenberg. The senator will be treated with chemotherapy administered approximately every three weeks. We anticipate that he will receive between six and eight treatments, and in between treatments, the senator is expected to be back at work in the Senate."

Lautenberg took ill Monday while at home in Cliffside Park. He fell down and phoned his doctor and an ambulance. The senator directed the ambulance to transport him to Manhattan for treatment at Mount Sinai Medical Center, where he has been hospitalized ever since. Lautenberg never lost consciousness, his aides said.

Doctors quickly determined that Lautenberg had fallen due to blood loss from a bleeding ulcer. The bleeding was stopped during an endoscopy. Additional pathology tests revealed the ulcer was caused by a b-cell lymphoma of the stomach.

In recent days, Lautenberg had been in touch with his staff and was on the phone a short time ago discussing the ongoing sex scandal surrounding golf star Tiger Woods , his aides said .

This is the first time Lautenberg has been diagnosed with cancer. His last health scare occurred seven years ago when he suffered a head injury in a skiing accident.

STATEMENT FROM THE OFFICE OF SENATOR LAUTENBERG

"After several days of hospitalization and testing, Senator Lautenberg's doctors have diagnosed that he has a B-Cell Lymphoma of the stomach. This is a curable tumor, and will require treatment over the next few months.

"The Senator is under the care of Dr. James F. Holland and Dr. Martin Goldman of Mount Sinai Medical Center."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Damn, one more Democratic seat in danger of falling to Republicans, in the most disgusting of circumstances.  Oh, and I guess it sucks for Lautenberg as well.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2010, 12:27:17 PM
Yikes, I hope he recovers. Still, at his age, even a treatable cancer is very dangerous. I had chemo when I was 19 and let me just say that I'm a little dubious that he'll be able to actually be able to carry out his duty as a senator as normal.

The chemo, radiation and other treatments are rugged, tough on the body. And can lead to all sorts of after effects, some lasting. Then getting regular check ups to make sure there isn't a recurrence, and if so, then another cycle of treatments. Can be really tough to go through treatments a number of times, even though it can save a life. I've had relatives go through that, and debate on getting the treatments after a while.

Darth Wagtaros

The RNC is celebrating at least.  The Democrats managed some monumental failures.  This poor bastard will just be tarred with that.
PDH!

Faeelin

When was the last time New Jersey had a Republican Senator?

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on February 19, 2010, 02:18:47 PM
When was the last time New Jersey had a Republican Senator?

1982 (Nicholas Brady, preceded Lautenberg).  1979 for the other seat (Clifford Case, preceded Bill Bradley).

DGuller

Here is another classic case of the barbarity of the way we appoint Senators for vacated spots.  If Lautenberg dies, then Republicans get a Senate seat because someone died.  If Lautenberg hangs on, barely, then he's almost forced to linger on when he really should be allowed to retire with dignity. 

What should be the standard is to have the party of the departing Senator choose a successor, on the condition that he's ineligible to run in special election that follows.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 02:42:13 PM
Here is another classic case of the barbarity of the way we appoint Senators for vacated spots.  If Lautenberg dies, then Republicans get a Senate seat because someone died.  If Lautenberg hangs on, barely, then he's almost forced to linger on when he really should be allowed to retire with dignity. 

What should be the standard is to have the party of the departing Senator choose a successor, on the condition that he's ineligible to run in special election that follows.
Looks like New Jersey needs to be like Massachusetts - change the laws at a whim to fit the political outcome desired!   ;)

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on February 19, 2010, 02:44:21 PM
Looks like New Jersey needs to be like Massachusetts - change the laws at a whim to fit the political outcome desired!   ;)
Yes, this is the first time I expressed this exact view.  I'm glad you're here to inject independent moderate thinking to this issue.

Jaron

I was expecting Tims opening post to be more like:

[Burns] Excellent.. [/Burns]
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Fate

The mistake was to run someone so old in that seat in 2004.

Meh. Who cares if he dies? It's not like the Democrats would have gotten anything done with his vote.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Fate on February 19, 2010, 05:56:14 PM

Yeah, cancer or no cancer, 86 year olds shouldn't be in the Senate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2010, 06:08:11 PM
Quote from: Fate on February 19, 2010, 05:56:14 PM

Yeah, cancer or no cancer, 86 year olds shouldn't be in the Senate.

Well the name implies it's for old people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017