"Sink the Bismarck" - Scots brew beer with 41% alc.

Started by Syt, February 19, 2010, 06:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

BBC: Strongest beer title 'reclaimed with Sink the Bismarck'

QuoteA controversial Scottish brewery has said it has reclaimed the title of the world's strongest beer from German rivals - with Sink the Bismarck at 41%.

BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, made headlines last year when it unveiled a 32% beer called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

However, Schorschbrau released the 40% strength Schorschbock.

BrewDog said its newly released 41%, Sink the Bismarck, would cost £40 for a 330ml bottle and would only be sold online.

Alcohol Focus Scotland had previously expressed concerns about BrewDog's approach.

Alcohol Focus Scotland chief executive Jack Law said: "Over the past few months BrewDog have continued to produce stronger and stronger beers.

"By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make."

But BrewDog's managing director James Watt said the company was doing all it could to promote a new and responsible approach to beer drinking.

He added: "Beer has a terrible reputation in Britain, it's ignorant to assume that a beer can't be enjoyed responsibly like a nice dram or a glass of fine wine. A beer like Sink the Bismarck should be enjoyed in spirit-sized measures."

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State, then Tactical Nuclear Penguin.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Vricklund

Is that beer fermented to 41% and if so, how? Most yeast I know die around 15%. Beer is water, hops, barley and yeast. If you add alcohol it's not a beer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Vricklund on February 19, 2010, 07:48:54 AM
Is that beer fermented to 41% and if so, how? Most yeast I know die around 15%. Beer is water, hops, barley and yeast. If you add alcohol it's not a beer.

Apparently, if I understand their website correctly, they freeze the beer for several weeks. I am uncertain that you could call it beer after that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Vricklund

Heh. Distilling by freezing is smart. But still cheating. :)

Caliga

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:56:19 AM
Apparently, if I understand their website correctly, they freeze the beer for several weeks. I am uncertain that you could call it beer after that.
Nope, you can't by any conventional definition.  This freezing process used to be how hard cider was "fortified", the resulting product being called applejack.  Unfortunately, it has a tendency to make people go blind, so it's not typically used any longer.  :blush:  I would hope that these guys have better quality control (IIRC the cider problem was caused by concentrating small amounts of methanol).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Vricklund on February 19, 2010, 07:48:54 AM
IIRC there are some strains of yeast that can survive up to about 17% alcohol.  You'd have to genetically engineer yeast to be able to live in a 41% alcohol brew.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quite a feat.  I think the strongest Scotch Ale I ever had was the aptly-named SkullSplitter (8.5%)

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

I normally drink a few Dogfish and Avery brewing company beers that are from 15-21%
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Nothing is manlier then dressing up as a school girl with clown shoes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon