BBC journalist Ray Gosling confesses "murder by compassion" on TV show

Started by Drakken, February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:07:50 AM
Incidentally, the guy has not - and said he will not - name his lover or the place or date of his death. Are you still positive this is sufficient to get a conviction out of this "confession"?

It depends how many AIDS-ridden lovers he had who recently died in hospital.
If hospital visitor logs show him as being there shortly before death and autopsy records are consistent with his story, then his confession could get him into a bit of bother.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:11:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2010, 10:05:02 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 09:55:31 AM
The confession is evidence in itself.  The circumstances of the confession can be offered to prove up its validity.  You are correct that there still could be a defense in theory, but if the physical evidence is not inconsistent with the confession, good luck.
How many times have we seen people convicted based on testimony that they confessed to cellmates?  Bunches.  I'd say that the policy of STFU is a good one even for people other than Marti.

But in these cases this was not the sole evidence. Here you have nothing - to even the victim's identity (I assume it can be traced back to some guy who died of AIDS, but can it be proven beyond reasonable doubt? I doubt it).

It's akin to Malthus's story about the guy killing another guy on some navy ship back during WW2 - I thought the conclusion back then was that it would be nigh impossible to convict someone based on that confession, so not sure what changed since then (other than the fact that this is Languish so everybody is contrarian).

I can see a couple of key differences between those fact situations.

For one, it is going to be a lot easier to determine the identity of the victim and the circumstances of his death, given the nexus between a man and his lover who allegedly died relatively recently in hospital is a lot closer than that between a guy and some unnamed sailor who allegedly died many years ago in WW2, and a death in a hospital bed is going to have a lot more documentation than that of someone allegedly falling overboard on a dark and storm night.

For another, a story told to a young boy has a lot less evidentiary weight than one told on national TV in front of millions of viewers and presumably recorded for posterity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 10:07:50 AM
Incidentally, the guy has not - and said he will not - name his lover or the place or date of his death. Are you still positive this is sufficient to get a conviction out of this "confession"?

Marty, I'm not positive that any case will get a conviction - never mind this one.   :lol:

All I can tell you is that any statement against interest is admissible in court against the maker of the statement, and thus the statement on national tv could be used against him.

You can have "john doe" victims as well, and you need not state with precision the date that the offence happened.

What could be more of an issue is where it happened - a UK court can only prosecute an event that happened in the UK, and if you can't prove (through the admission or otherwise) what coutry it happened in you could have a fatal problem.

But all of those are 'may' could be' and 'possible'.  I have no idea if they'd get a conviction -  but on the face of it it isn't impossible for the Crown Prosecution Service to try.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

A collegue recently defended a murder where the principal piece of evidence directly tying the defendant to the crime (commited nearly 20 years ago) was an alleged contemporaneous confession.  And where another person had also confessed to the same crime.

He won the case but it was by no means a sure thing.  More to the point, the DA's office brought it.

Confessions carry a lot weight with juries and prosecutors know it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 01:22:51 PM

That may be more of an American phenonenon.  Over the last 20 years with some of the wrongful conviction cases our courts are very careful about confessions, triply so for jailhouse informant confessions.  Even with a jury trial there are lengthy warnings given to a jury about using confessions.

Canadian lawyers, when we put on our snooty 'we're better than Americans' hat, start their criticism of US justice by your over-reliance on some (to us) rather dubious confessions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2010, 01:35:53 PM
That may be more of an American phenonenon.  Over the last 20 years with some of the wrongful conviction cases our courts are very careful about confessions, triply so for jailhouse informant confessions.  Even with a jury trial there are lengthy warnings given to a jury about using confessions.

Canadian lawyers, when we put on our snooty 'we're better than Americans' hat, start their criticism of US justice by your over-reliance on some (to us) rather dubious confessions.
That's probably not the worst abuse in the US legal system, but it certainly is one of them - especially where the person witnessing the confession is getting time off his/her own sentence for testifying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 01:22:51 PM
A collegue recently defended a murder where the principal piece of evidence directly tying the defendant to the crime (commited nearly 20 years ago) was an alleged contemporaneous confession.  And where another person had also confessed to the same crime.

He won the case but it was by no means a sure thing.  More to the point, the DA's office brought it.

What happened to the other guy who confessed?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2010, 05:54:17 PM

Its complicated, but it was eventually determined that he was immune from prosecution.

However,  he was stuck in jail on a variety of other bad stuff.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2010, 05:54:17 PM

Its complicated, but it was eventually determined that he was immune from prosecution.

However,  he was stuck in jail on a variety of other bad stuff.
If one of his confessions was bogus, what about the other bad stuff, how do we know he really did that? Did he confess to them as well, or was their other evidence?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on February 17, 2010, 06:22:41 PM
I don't know why he has decided to admit it; there's pretty much a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude building up over here about such cases.

Give it another ten years and the law will get amended to allow the right-to-die anyway.

Isn't there a budding public debate about right-to-die and assisted suicide in the UK nowadays?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 04:25:27 AM
Isn't there a budding public debate about right-to-die and assisted suicide in the UK nowadays?

Reading can be fun and informative. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.