News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nomads and Empire

Started by jimmy olsen, February 18, 2010, 06:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I found a cool monograph on the feedback loop style relationship between the rise of Empires and Nomadic Confederations along the ecological boundary separating agricultural settlements and nomads.

http://cliodynamics.info/PDF/Steppe_JGH_reprint.pdf

QuoteAbstract
Between 3000 BCE and 1800 CE there were more than sixty 'mega-empires' that, at the peak,
controlled an area of at least one million square kilometres. What were the forces that kept
together such huge pre-industrial states? I propose a model for one route to mega-empire,
motivated by imperial dynamics in eastern Asia, the world region with the highest concentration
of mega-empires. This 'mirror-empires' model proposes that antagonistic interactions
between nomadic pastoralists and settled agriculturalists result in an autocatalytic process,
which pressures both nomadic and farming polities to scale up polity size, and thus military
power. The model suggests that location near a steppe frontier should correlate with the frequency
of imperiogenesis. A worldwide survey supports this prediction: over 90% of megaempires
arose within or next to the Old World's arid belt, running from the Sahara desert
to the Gobi desert. Specific case studies are also plausibly explained by this model. There
are, however, other possible mechanisms for generating empires, of which a few are discussed
at the end of the article.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Fascinating.

On a related note, does anybody know of any good explanation as to why the great nomad empires stopped spawning? Though this paper might seem to suggest that the great steppe was simply overtaken by two civilized empires (china and russia) which now had the will and power to impose their will on the steppes at a time when the steppe was in a decline phase of the feedback loop.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sahib

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 07:41:02 PM
Fascinating.

On a related note, does anybody know of any good explanation as to why the great nomad empires stopped spawning? Though this paper might seem to suggest that the great steppe was simply overtaken by two civilized empires (china and russia) which now had the will and power to impose their will on the steppes at a time when the steppe was in a decline phase of the feedback loop.

Reliable firearms and artillery negating the traditional nomadic military advantage?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sahib on February 18, 2010, 07:46:03 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 07:41:02 PM
Fascinating.

Reliable firearms and artillery negating the traditional nomadic military advantage?
I would say even more important than that was the increased ability of the state to mobilize its resources and take advantage of the massive disparity in population .
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Do we have any example of a large nomadic confederation/empire fighting bow vs. arquebus and losing?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 08:03:09 PM

Do we have any example of a large nomadic confederation/empire fighting bow vs. arquebus and losing?

Muscovy?

Viking

Quote from: Faeelin on February 18, 2010, 09:37:25 PM

Muscovy?

Was Muscovy heavily equipped with gunpowder weapons?
Were Kazan and Crimea not?
Were Kazan and Crimea not stationary bandits?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 09:54:50 PM

Muscovy?
The article references raids deep by the Crimean khanate into Muscovite territory so I don't think so.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2010, 09:57:00 PM

Muscovy?
The article references raids deep by the Crimean khanate into Muscovite territory so I don't think so.

The questions were not rhetorical. I want to know.

They had a city and they had settled in the Ukraine. This then poses the question, when does a raiding bandit become a settled bandit and can he be both?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 12:33:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2010, 09:57:00 PM

Muscovy?

They had a city and they had settled in the Ukraine. This then poses the question, when does a raiding bandit become a settled bandit and can he be both?
Ah, well I don't know much about the Crimeans and their situation. :blush:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Native Americans and/or Zulus.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2010, 02:36:53 AM

Native Americans and/or Zulus.

The Zulus were a settled agrarian, not nomadic, culture.

And the native Americans were not a united confederation. Moreover, the few times several tribes fought together (such as in 1876) they never did so on anything approaching the scale of the Eurasian steppe.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 12:33:35 AM

Nomads and settled peoples often settle in to what could generously be called a symbiotic, and realistically be called a parasitic relationship, at least past the time of the Scythians and early Indo-Europeans, who were substantially more complex and far better agriculturalists than most, particularly non-Indo-European nomads.  That said, with land as fertile as the Ukraine, there was probably ALWAYS some manner of sedentary population, with a blur of sedentary and nomad.  For instance, the Slavic languages all developed on the fascinating Forest-Steppe frontier, and their language seems to reflect a truly ancient relationship with more easterly Iranian proto-nomads and the native, largely sedentary population. 

What would often happen is the lower classes would settle and assimilate with the native agrarian/pastoralist population, while an upper nomadic class would become a new feudal class.  Often, this resulted in haphazard gestalt feudal states initially established as confederations of Nomads, with a later, more thoroughly sedentary Empire, combining the militaristic strengths of the Nomadic peoples with the organizational ability of sedentary peoples.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DontSayBanana

I misread the title as having something to do with Foundation and Empire. :(
Experience bij!